Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

G33/40 ID Help Please

Article about: This gun belonged to a friends father, who just passed away. Any help with ID will be appreciated. We are not collectors, but would like to know the history/details of this firearm. I will b

Default G33/40 ID Help Please

This gun belonged to a friends father, who just passed away. Any help with ID will be appreciated.
    We are not collectors, but would like to know the history/details of this firearm.

I will be glad to provide any additional information requested.
    Travis

It says dot 1942
    G33/40 ID Help Please

4686 on the side and G.33/40
    G33/40 ID Help Please

It appears to have 121 on the bolt
    G33/40 ID Help Please

Some other pics just taken:
    G33/40 ID Help PleaseG33/40 ID Help PleaseG33/40 ID Help PleaseG33/40 ID Help PleaseG33/40 ID Help Please

To add, I have googled the numbers. There are several pics, but I haven't found any with a stock or sights like this one has.
    It appears that the butt stock, where it has rotted off and the leather sling are quite old.
    Thanks for looking.

Hello Travis,
    It was a Czech made rifle for German Mountain troops.
    The stock and sights aren't original to the gun.
    It's missing many of it's original parts.
    Have a look at some of the recent posts here in the World Firearms section.
    You will find some very nice examples of original condition G.33/40s.
    The differences will be clear.
    Jonathan.

MAP
    ?

Travis,

Hello and welcome to the forum.

What you have here is a "sportorized" G33/40 rifle. It has a replaced stock and sights.

We would need clearer pictures for a more detailed analysis but in my view it has no military collector value left unfortunately. It is possible to restore it but even then it would be non-matching.

However, while I myself am no expert on stocks, it appears that this stock at one time was a beautiful piece with the tiger (?) stripe cross grain.

Sportorization of military surplus rifles was common after the war so this is not at all uncommon.

It also appears to have been poorly stored with a fair amount of rust.

Finally, as noted above, clear pictures would be needed of all the major parts and stampings. (Check to see if the bolt is matching serial number to the receiver).

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the comments!

Here are some more pics of the bolt. Here are all of the markings i see.

This emblem
    G33/40 ID Help Please

Says M 5 here
    G33/40 ID Help Please

121 here
    G33/40 ID Help Please

Sights
    G33/40 ID Help Please

And a couple more
    G33/40 ID Help PleaseG33/40 ID Help Please

MAP
    ?

Thanks! The picture of the bolt has the numbers '121' as you note. It is hard to see but I would assume that would be part of the serial number. Thus, denoting that it is a not matching to the gun (the receiver serial number is 4686C.

Eitherway, for me, even if it is matching, the rifle has been severely altered and is in poor condition so I do not see any collector value. Sorry.

As Jonathan noted above a quick search here on the forum will provide a number of links for you to study and compare. There are also some good websites on G33/40's that should provide a lot of useful information. Unfortunately I am not at home now so can't link them here.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for your time and help. It is appreciated!
    We will check those sites out.
    Travis

MAP
    ?

Here is one link. It should help you a bit more. there are better ones out there but for now this should help.

The G33/40 was only made for 3 years, from 1940-1942. DOT is the manufacturer code. It was produced by Waffen Werke Brunn.

The eagle on the bolt is the test fire proof. And as noted above, the 121 on the side of the bolt (the correct placement) is not matching the receiver.

Sorry but a bit busy at work right now.........

Firearms and Uniforms of the Wehrmacht

MAP
    ?

Travis,

OK, here is the link that I think will be most helpful in giving you a nice history of the G33/40 and specific details on the marking. Hope this helps you.

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww2/g33_40_new.pdf

Michael

Yep what Map says. Been sporterized thus ruining collector value. Hate to tell you what it would be worth in good shape and unaltered. plenty sportered way back when. Sportsman loved that mauser action.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast