Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Georgian period cannon

Article about: Another of my 'finds' at Liverpool arms fair last Sunday. Again, I didn't really know where to post this - so apologies if it is in the wrong forum section. The cannon is a working model wit

Default Georgian period cannon

Another of my 'finds' at Liverpool arms fair last Sunday. Again, I didn't really know where to post this - so apologies if it is in the wrong forum section.

The cannon is a working model with a barrel length of almost six inches. At first I thought that it may have been intended as a child's toy, and it wasn't until I got it home and examined it more closely that I realised how old it actually was. On both sides of the wooden carriage is stamped the crown of King George 111. The barrel is also stamped in the same fashion. I doubt very much if it was meant as a toy. Perhaps a tester for the combustibility of powder? I know I am probably clutching at straws with that theory though! Click on pictures to enlarge.

Georgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannon
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

?

Great find. I am envious!!!!!!!!
    Collect ROA, Cossack, Schuma and other WW2 Volunteer militaria.

"Be Humble and kind, for you may find that it was Odin you entertained"

A signal canon?...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A signal canon?...
    I would think far too small for that!
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I would think far too small for that!
    What size is it mate?...
    Ah gotcha it would be a bit small, the smallest i've seen described as a signal canon is about a foot long!...
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

That's a fantastic piece mate!

great looking Cannon Steve. Wish I had one in my war room. Oh!! thats right, I have no more room.

John

- - ------- - -

great looking Cannon Steve. Wish I had one in my war room. Oh!! thats right, I have no more room.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

nice piece.

Again, possibly a ceremonial piece for an officers' mess or ship-starting gun for races or similar.

The barrel is barely six inches long! Starting cannons are usually much bigger! Although I do agree that it could be a ceremonial piece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast