Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

German barrel but whats it for?

Article about: I will get that tried and tested as there is a 37mm I can try it in. It will be a while before I can confirm though as the gun is tucked away.

Default Re: German barrel but whats it for?

I will get some more pictures but it will take a few days.

It's got me puzzled as i've spent hours on the net and looked through all of my reference books, i thought about you saying the round was protruding so i thought maybe 7.92 kurz, but i don't think any of the assault rifles had removable barrels and their barrels were shorter. I even had a look at the anti tank rifles but their barrels are too long where's Ned when you need him? i bet he's got the answer in some obscure book!...

Edit, i looked at all the 7.92mm aircraft guns too, nothing!..
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

I certainly don't have a clue, it could be a mg.37(t) as we did have them here but I just don't know.
    D.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    I certainly don't have a clue, it could be a mg.37(t) as we did have them here but I just don't know.
    D.
    Thought about that one, but didn't they have that quite thick finned barrel?

Edit, the mg 37(t) had a barrel weighing 14 lb, 14 oz.
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

The maker stamp looks to be dxm, if that is correct the maker is Weinitschke, F. Paul, G.m.b.H., Eisenbahnsignalbauanstalt u. Maschinenfabrik, Berlin-Lichtenberg, Rittergutstr. 128.

I hope this is of help.

Quote by Granatwerfer View Post
    The maker stamp looks to be dxm, if that is correct the maker is Weinitschke, F. Paul, G.m.b.H., Eisenbahnsignalbauanstalt u. Maschinenfabrik, Berlin-Lichtenberg, Rittergutstr. 128.

I hope this is of help.
    Cheers for that!....

I would say that it is a 7.92X57mm sub-cal device for a German 37mm AT Gun....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Bills corect, it is a sub calibre adapter. If you look at the breech, you can see its the same shape as the base of a shell. You put your 7.9mm round in, close the breech which pushes in the projection at the end of the breech inwards. Fire the round and when you open the breech lock, the projection springs out, forcing out the empty case. If you measure the outer diameter of the barrel, it will match (Nearly) the bore of the gun it was for, and if you measure the breech, that will give you the diamter of the base of the case used in the gun. Lets hope the barrel diameter is 37mm.

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    I would say that it is a 7.92X57mm sub-cal device for a German 37mm AT Gun....BILL
    If i wore a hat i'd take it off to you Bill, after seeing the Bofors device you posted i've got to agree with you!...

Bills bofers sub calibre device is really nice. It looks like a cut down Enfield mk3 barrel fitted to a steel adapter fitted inside the base of an old shell case. It's a really simple idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast