Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

Article about: After removal of rust to metal parts I would use a simple silicone cloth sold in any gun or hardware store to prevent future rust. Have used one for years on my guns and have been very satis

Default German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

Hello Im very excited about my recent purchase actually its so recent it was in my hands less than a half hour as of right now! I found this ON CRAIGSLIST! I called the guy and he told me he had a WW2 mauser he inherited his uncles house and found this in the basement, I went and saw it today and took it home, there is some light damage on the stock, light rust on the metal parts of the gun, it fires and is marked CE 43. Also all parts are MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS! I dont know anything about german rifles just the basics can someone provide more information about the gun, I paid $125 so I think I got a good deal! Thanks! - Nick K

German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

Default Re: German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

Little rusty but looks great! Cheap too!

?

Rifle from a reputed maker; J.P. Sauer & Sohn.
    Needs a loving hand and some oil, but good catch.
    I have seen far worse guns 'come back from the dead' and shoot just fine.
    Lightly restore it, have it checked out by a conpetent gunsmith, go shoot it and report back.

?

You got a very good deal,the front sling attaching ring is facing the wrong side though.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Nice rifle Nick. With a little patience this should clean up nicely. Look up instructions on how to break it all the way down off of the stock, then clean it. I personally use lots of oil and very fine steel wool. Rub very lightly just to remove the surface rust. Too hard and you'll lose the blueing and pantena under the rust so go easy. Also try not to oil the stock, wiping it with a bit won't hurt but a lot may cause it to swell. I made that mistake once.

Good luck

Burt

Congradulations on your KAR 98 Mauser. A price like that is astounding even if it has some rust to be removed. Like the others said be very careful how you clean this rifle up as to not remove any markings especially on stock. Check with gunsmith as the best rust remover to use if unsure. All matching kar 98s are worth at least $1500 to $2000 these days depending on condition. Check out Gun Boards Forum for the best and most knowledgeable experts on Mauser rifles. Good luck with your cleaning and never reblue it.

Ain't nothing wrong with this one, awesome find on CL!

Thanks for your comments, when my dad and I got into the car after my purchase he said it was worth $100 but I just proved him wrong with your help. He's still shocked! and he has a pretty little gun collection himself! Thanks for the help. - Nick K

I had a Japanese T38 Arisaka in similar condition. All I did was soak some 0000 steel wool in CLP and GENTLY rub. I applied barely any pressure... maybe 1% of my strength and the rust came off so easily. I had to change the steel wool often because the rust muddied it up. The restoration will be easier than you think... just be patient and take your time!

To me, it doesn't look like the stock needs much attention at all. Maybe just a warm/damp wash cloth soaked in dawn dish soap.

Before

After

Awesome find! The wood's in great condition as well!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast