Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

German WWII Era P38 to share

Article about: Small collection of good condition P 38 pistols to share. Starting top left. AC 41 December 1941 AC 42 August 1942, 98% with capture papers AC 45, March 1945 spare mag, capture Papers byf 43

John absolutly stunning display of firepower!
    Loved your holsters, but even more the pistols
    BRAVO!!
    Best regards,
    Lt. Col
    Ullergaard

John, you and TC seem to be the P38 kings.

I'm interested in the colour variation of the bakelite hand grips. Is there any consistency across the makers based on year of manufacture and whether the grips were black or brown/red bakelite? You do see a consistency with the K98 bayonets, where black bakelite appears in 1938 to 1942 but by 1943 the red/brown bakelite comes in, and black isn't seen thereafter. And of course wood makes a re-appearance.

Anderson yes there is some consistency in grip color from what I have seen,the darker brown were earlier,light brown and orange/ reddish color were mid to later war on walther and mausers and evidence of more fillers like saw dust.Cyq had a unique maker and these were a dark chocolate brown with some lighter reddish color grips mixed in, both used to end of production.Cyq grips had only 5 broken lines around grip screw,walther and mausers had 6.Mauser(only) started using black plastic/phenolic grips late in the war from about the u block and on.These are not bakelite but an improved softer material ,they didn't crack like bakelite.The pistol I show has these later black "mauser" grips.Nothing is set in stone on the color of grips and era, as they used what stock they had,but later grips on an early pistol or vice versa would not be the norm.Some grips were probably swapped out post war, more so than bayonet grips,much easier to do!Also makings on the inside of p38 grips can help authenticate era.

Quote by Toecutter View Post
    John what is the letter block on your late byf44?Here is my latest Mauser P38 ,its in the e block,a SVW45 , with late pebble grain cxe4 holster.Mauser changed the code in 1945 to SVW on p38s but many leftover byf44 slides were still being used in 45.I had a matching byf44 in the early f block that I sold to an advanced collector a few years ago, it was the latest german produced one I had ever seen.
    Mine is 2309e. Nice rig Toecutter! Thank you for sharing.
    John

Quote by Anderson View Post
    John, you and TC seem to be the P38 kings.

I'm interested in the colour variation of the bakelite hand grips. Is there any consistency across the makers based on year of manufacture and whether the grips were black or brown/red bakelite? You do see a consistency with the K98 bayonets, where black bakelite appears in 1938 to 1942 but by 1943 the red/brown bakelite comes in, and black isn't seen thereafter. And of course wood makes a re-appearance.
    I am have to disagree with king of collection of P38, maybe Toecutter is holding out but that is all I have. My collection is very meager compared to others that collect P.38's. Thank you for the comment though.

I have not been able to determine any pattern with the color of grips by maker or year in my short time of collecting. I think it it would take 1000's of examples to determine a pattern in colors. I am always skeptical that grips have been replaced, swapped or other even when I purchase one. Toecutter may have better insight on this issue and I would like to spend some time in figuring out.
    You are a bayonet master Anderson, not kidding. (Please note that I left out K98, S/98, 84/98 and all other correct abbreviations.
    I would need to spend another decade to gain the knowledge of P38 guns that you have on bayonets. Toecutter is much further along than I am as well.
    John

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Though these pistols tend to be overshadowed by the Luger in terms of collectibility, they are works of art in of themselves. I have only one; a deactivated 'cyq' produced in July of 1944. How very fortunate you are, not only to be able to own such an extensive collection of P38's, but to be able to own them in working condition. Magnificent!

Regards, B.B.
    BB, they are enjoyable to shoot. Minimal recoil and pretty accurate. My brother and I take out friends of our kids to shoot WWII era guns a few times a year. It is a great time for the kids but we always end up with onlookers at those 'old junky guns', but they always watch in amazement.
    I would also agree with you that we have maintained our right to use them and that is not going to change in my lifetime, not even if they try as they do every year. Not going to happen. No luck involved though. Just the state of Kentucky has more guns than the entire military and that is only one state. I do not want to ever take for granted but it would be very difficult to go Adolf or Maduro on the people and confiscate them.
    John

Great collection, they look to be in excellent condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12