Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting set for a Vintage Sniper Rifle competition

Article about: Looks like a 1 click adjustment on the Izhevsk should bring it right into center. Not really fair, though, to zero in a scope using milsurplus and expect to see the same results with custom

?

Default Getting set for a Vintage Sniper Rifle competition

I'm linking up with another retired Army colonel and forming a team to shoot in a vintage sniper competition in September at Quantico, VA. We'll be shooting at 300 and 600 meters - both using Mosin Nagant M 91/30 PU snipers.

So, I've been working with my two snipers to see which I want to use. I've also got the possibility that my ex-sniper restoration rifle will come back from the expert in time to use. He is not just restoring it but is also polishing and floating the barrel, polishing the feed ramp, etc and working on the trigger - all done within CMP standards for competition. But, I'm not sure if it will be back in time to work with it enough to zero it.

So, my options are:

1. My Repro sniper built of a 1937 Izhevsk with a Ukrainian made PU scope.

2. My '43 Tula sniper with a '42 Progress scope

and an off chance of 3- my '42 Izhevsk ex-sniper restoration that will also mount a '42 Progesss scope.

I spent yesterday aligning the scopes and zeroing them without doing any tweaking. I was actually pretty pleased with both. I am nowgoing to wrap the barrels with a piece of oil soaked cloth as the Soviets did to dampen the harmonics and see if they get any better.

Here are the two check targets of the last 5 rounds I shot from each rifle yesterday.

Getting set for a Vintage Sniper Rifle competitionGetting set for a Vintage Sniper Rifle competition

?

Default Re: Getting set for a Vintage Sniper Rifle competition

Very interesting COL, MarkV The Izhevsk seems to be printing more vertically than the Tula. Or is it just the shooter Anyway if the Tula group was just notch to the left there would have been three in the red but with two flyers to the left. Nice groups. Distance?

Regards, Lars

Are you using factory rounds or home loads as a matter of interest??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I wish you luck Sir in your competition sound's like fun. Let us know how you did.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

These were shot at 50 yards using MILSURP light ball. The Tula is just printing a hair right but I didn't want to play too much on the first try and before I wrap the barrels. The Tula was first up and I definitely got better as I shot. I'm fighting with controlling the muzzle lift when the rifle fires. I didn't have the sling wrapped around my arm - will do that next time out.

The competition will be shot prone supported using a rucksack as a rest.

I'm just starting into reloading so I should see better results as I refine my loads. For the match, I will probably use Privi Match commercial. They will not allow steel core ammo on the range so that eliminates MILSURP.

?

Good luck on your sniper match. I wish they held on here in AZ.

?

Looks like Option 3 is on the table as a possibility. My formerly '42 Izhevsk sniper is now a reborn sniper and on its way back to me by FedEx - to be delivered tomorrow. The restoration expert (George Tossan) said he spent a lot of time floating the barrel and polishing the bore, lapped the bolt to ensure a smooth operation, and worked the trigger to give it a smooth 5lb pull.

I hunted around for an original rail - there were actually 3 different spacing sizes used for rail mounting on PUs. In order to restore an ex-sniper and use the original mount holes you have to measure the spacing in the two inner most holes and then find a rail that matches (or buy a repro from Accumounts that matches). Luckily, I got the measurements right - the rail matched perfectly to the re-tapped mount holes.

I can't wait to shoot it this weekend. It is now all original parts with the exception of the scope mount - still need to find a wartime Izhevk mount so I'll use the repro until then to mount the '42 Progress scope.

Very interesting! Let us know how it goes!!

?

Well, for some reason the FedEx tracking now says estimated delivery is Saturday. Not sure why it originally reflected being in-transit with a delivery of today and then jumped back that far...but, if it comes Saturday I can still have time this weekend to zero it. I'll post some pics when it does show up.

Quote by samnev View Post
    Good luck on your sniper match. I wish they held on here in AZ.
    There will be a Vintage Sniper Match at the CMP Western Games at Ben Avery near Phoenix next month. I think the match is 13 - 16 October.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast