MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Gewehr 71

Article about: Picked this up at a yard sale a couple of years ago. According to Google it is the first repeating rifle for the german army. It is black powder . I have not been able to find an image of th

Default Gewehr 71

Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71Gewehr 71

Picked this up at a yard sale a couple of years ago. According to Google it is the first repeating rifle for the german army. It is black powder . I have not been able to find an image of the same rifle so dont know if it was ever equipped with a bayonet. In nice shape and glad to acquire it, been on my wall since. Anyone with any more info it is appreciated. Cheers Brian

This may be of interest

Bayonet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gewehr 71  

Gewehr 71Gewehr 71
    Thank you for that video, very very interesting. I now know how to remove the bolt. Same basic design. The one I have is a later design the 71/84. It is a repeater with a tubular magazine but looks very similar. Dont know if there was ever a bayonet lug on this model. Cheers Brian

Brian

On reflection I think your rifle has been sporterised.

1. It is marked " I. G." - Infanterie Gewehr not K for Karabiner.

2. I'm not sure that there was a 71/84 carbine but I may be wrong on that. There was a 71 carbine but as the attached photo shows, it had a full wood stock.

3. Your rifle has an infantry unit marking which I think would be inappropriate for a carbine designed for cavalry use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gewehr 71  

Did a google search and there was a 71/84 made. It was the first repeating rifle for the German army. However I do think you are right about being sporterized as I just see full length versions. They did a very good job but I wish they had left it alone. Thanks again for your help. Cheers Brian

I have original rounds in their unopened box for this rifle!Gewehr 71Gewehr 71

Wow those are awesome! There cant be many of those around. Cheers Brian

Only ones I ever seen.