Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Greek Bren

Article about: The Greeks made their own .303 HXP ammo, I'm not sure when/if they've stopped making it but I've seen 1986 dated stuff and their still exporting their surplus I believe. Even if they are DPs

Default Greek Bren

Does anyone speak Greek? I found this sticker on the Butt of a Bren Mk1 and I would like to know what it means. I bet it means SCRAP or somthing like that.

A.n.O.SIGMA.T.O.LAMBDA.O.y

A.X.I.LAMBDA.LAMBDA.E.Y.SIGMA

K.O.K.K.I.N.O.T.H

Default Re: Greek Bren

If no one answers, drop a line to forum member Giorgos as he is Greek:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/warme...bernr12527wrf/

Cheers, Ade.

This is the name of the owner
    Apostolou
    Axilleys(Achilles like the hero)
    Kokkini (maybe is a village name)

Thanks for that, Thats really intresting, I wonder why he would write his name on a sticker and affix it to the butt of the bren when it wouldn't really be his.

Jan
    ?

I dont get your point? Could be a village in Crete. Lots of use for a bren gun there in ww2 and after

Rgds Jan

I just cant quite see why someone would write their name on a sticker and stick it to the butt of the gun, carved into the butt maybe, but on a sticker, thats why I find it interesting.

Jan
    ?

Ah maybe it was a relative or someone after the war who wrote who it had belonged to??? only speculation but why not?

Quote by Jan View Post
    I dont get your point? Could be a village in Crete. Lots of use for a bren gun there in ww2 and after

Rgds Jan
    Maybe the Village is Kokkini Xani in Crete ,but the Bren are still in use today in Hellenic Air Force,maybe is from a surplus of Greek army ,The Greek army use many equipment from WW2

Hellenic Air Force 2010

Thanks for that, It is one of the ex Greek Brens, approx 26000 were imported to the UK afew years back and this is the first I've seen with a personal connection. Some have packing slips in the transport boxs that they came in, but thats all official paperwork, nothing personal. I also didn't realise the Hellenic forces still used the Bren, I just presumed that the UK impoted Ex Greek Brens were their old War resrve they'd sold off. I'm glad theyre still in use, still as effective as when they were new.

I would have thought they'd be showing their age by now-decent .303 ammo would be hard to get as well-or are they just Drill Practice non shooters for training?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast