Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Guns in Afghanistan

Article about: Hi Richie, I just looked at some site about the Khyber Pass specials....I am really astonished!! I never wondered about that...is crazy how they make those guns, the entire US and EU gun mar

Default Guns in Afghanistan

Hi guys,
    I finally found somethings interesting in Afghanistan, I know that 2 of the revolver are Webley but what is the other one? and the rifles? Do you also know the meaning of all the markings?
    Thank you for any info...

Davide

PS: look the russian helmet...cool!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Guns in Afghanistan   Guns in Afghanistan  

Guns in Afghanistan   Guns in Afghanistan  

Guns in Afghanistan   Guns in Afghanistan  

?

Default Re: Guns in Afghanistan

The rifles are British Martini Henry Enfields - the one on top is a Type II, can't tell about the lower one. It was the standard British Infantry weapon until the 1890s I think - you see a lot of them coming into the US now from Afghanistan and Pakistan.

ILH
    ?

The flare pistol is russian.
    Your other pistol is a British Enfield Mk I or II, 1880-7, got replaced by the Webley.
    all the usual- proof marks, dates, british arrows and WD marks, crown and VR of Queen Victoria- same for the M-H rifle.- nice pair from the British 2nd Afghan War (1878-80).
    That last helmet is pretty mad- what's the big crest on the front- austro-hungarian double eagle, perhaps?
    jim.

Thank you for the answer, I'll try to bring back some of the guns but it is very difficoult with the milirary regoulations...
    I like this old weapons probably because I read too many books of Wilburn Smith...
    I also found a lot of bayos...one is Japanese, I really would like to know how is finish here!!!
    The russian helmet is probably a battlefield pickup and probably used by the old man of a village as a "dimostration of power"...because all the insignia are locally made..
    just another question..are this weapon rare?

Davide

Another pictures of the helmet..
    I don't think the eagle is austrian made.
    The flare gun has british markings and the long revolver has both british and russian markings and is marked 1890.
    The two Webley are both marked 1880 but if you observe carefully they have some little differences..like the trigger, the hammer and also the cylinder...
    what do you think?

Thanks
    Davide

sorry..
    here it is
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Guns in Afghanistan  

Wow, "dimostration of power" I just couldn't possibly take anybody seriously that wore that helmet. I guess it's the culture.

Davide

My guess - the pistols are fakes.

The revolver with the long barrel is not a .476 Enfield.

The "Webleys" - you mention that they have differences - I think that is because they are not Webleys but locally made copies.

The rifles - still being made today - the Khyber Pass special !

Richie

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Davide

My guess - the pistols are fakes.

The revolver with the long barrel is not a .476 Enfield.

The "Webleys" - you mention that they have differences - I think that is because they are not Webleys but locally made copies.

The rifles - still being made today - the Khyber Pass special !

Richie
    Thank you Richie,
    do you really think is possible?
    I know there are some fakes here but not weapons, I mean the markings are very clear and compatible with the gun...they also sell them for 150$, I think the production of a copy should cost more..
    If they are fakes, they are pretty good made!!
    Never thought about that!

Davide

Davide

Yes - the gunsmiths in that part of the world have been making look-a-like firearms for years.

The will make anything - Lee Enfields, Martini Henrys and AKs.

You mention them being sold for $150 - that may seem cheap but the cost of labour is very low.

I would never dream of firing any of these things.

Have a look at these links.

Martini-Enfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en..._nhi=&safe=off

If you just want something to hang on your wall then buy one - otherwise I would save your money.

Regards

Richie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast