Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Happy Veterans Day

Article about: Happy veterans Day to Everyone.. If it had not been for the Veterans in my family, and the stories that were told about WW1, WW2, Korea, from Belleau Woods to Midway, Anguar, Luzon,PI the Li

Default Happy Veterans Day

Happy veterans Day to Everyone.. If it had not been for the Veterans in my family, and the stories that were told about WW1, WW2, Korea, from Belleau Woods to Midway, Anguar, Luzon,PI the Liberation of Rome, and Chosen Resevoir.. I might not have had such a great hobby of collecting Militaria and weapons of the wars.. So I am taking this time to remember the Veterans in my family.. First is My Grand Father Frank D. Grist 1st. Infantry Division 1917-1918 'The Big Red One',,, Second my Father William T. Grist 901st. Ordnance, North Africa, Italy, Southern France Picture taken 1942 with my mother,,, Third Uncle Walter C. Grist USMC VMSB 242 Midway, Guadacanal, and USMC Air Wing Korean War,,, Now my mothers side (on the left) Uncle William B. Kidd 81st. Wild Cat Infantry Division Anguar, Luzon, PI,,,, Fifth Uncle Dr. Ralph V. Kidd jr. USN Hospital Ship Repose, Korean War...Enjoy this military heritage, And a 90 year old 'artillery' LP08 Luger..BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Happy Veterans Day   Happy Veterans Day  

Happy Veterans Day   Happy Veterans Day  

Happy Veterans Day   Happy Veterans Day  

Attached Images Attached Images Happy Veterans Day  Happy Veterans Day  Happy Veterans Day 
    Last edited by Bill Grist; 11-12-2008 at 01:08 AM.
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Default Re: Happy Veterans Day

Hi Bill,

Today in the UK we have been having Commemoration services including one at the Cenotaph in London where our last 3 WW1 Veterans including the UK's oldest man at 112 and the last veteran who actually fought in the Trenches at Paschendale were in attendance for the 90th Anniversary of the Armistice, 11am, 11th November 1918 the end of the First world war fighting , following on from our remembrance Sunday 2 days ago .

I take it that even though many Doughboys still lie in the Fields of the Argonne etc nothing took place in the States to commemorate this important Anniversary ??

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Here in the USA we had 100s of Veteran Day parades and many Memorial servives...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Excellent Bill ,as i'm sure you know the Doughboys were fighting and dying right up to a minute or two before the Armistice. As it is Veterans and Armistice day i hope yopu don't mind if i add a few names of my own,

Remembering my friend and comrade Bombardier Greg Boothroyd G Troop 4th Field Regiment Royal Artillery Killed in Action January 1980 in Rhodesia

My Grandfather Gunner George Errington 126 Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery , gassed on 15/3/1918 at Havrincourt on the Hindenburg line his fourth wound , died in 1934 as a result of these wounds.

L/Bdr Edgar G Phillips MM 126 Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery died of wounds 24/3/1918

" UBIQUE" "Quo fas et Gloria ducunt"

L/Cpl Harold Martin MM ( 1/7/1916) 10th Bn Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry KIA 17/9/1916.

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

altius
    ?

For more info related Veterans Day 2011, Quotes, Poems, Celebrations, Activities and many more visit altiusdirtectory.com

Veterans Day 2011‚ History‚ Veterans Day Proclamation‚ Date, Traditions‚ Observed‚ Veterans Day USA‚ Poems‚ Games.

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Happy veterans Day to Everyone.. If it had not been for the Veterans in my family, and the stories that were told about WW1, WW2, Korea, from Belleau Woods to Midway, Anguar, Luzon,PI the Liberation of Rome, and Chosen Resevoir.. I might not have had such a great hobby of collecting Militaria and weapons of the wars.. So I am taking this time to remember the Veterans in my family.. First is My Grand Father Frank D. Grist 1st. Infantry Division 1917-1918 'The Big Red One',,, Second my Father William T. Grist 901st. Ordnance, North Africa, Italy, Southern France Picture taken 1942 with my mother,,, Third Uncle Walter C. Grist USMC VMSB 242 Midway, Guadacanal, and USMC Air Wing Korean War,,, Now my mothers side (on the left) Uncle William B. Kidd 81st. Wild Cat Infantry Division Anguar, Luzon, PI,,,, Fifth Uncle Dr. Ralph V. Kidd jr. USN Hospital Ship Repose, Korean War...Enjoy this military heritage, And a 90 year old 'artillery' LP08 Luger..BILL
    Glorious relatives...You must be very proud BILL of your family's past...
    My grandad from my mother's side fought in the outbreak of the Italian invasion in Greece, he went as far as Premeti (Albanian town), he was wounded by mortar fire and survived the German occupation of Greece. I have a photo of him during army drills and a coat wound pin he proudly wore for the rest of his life.
    Regards, Thanos.

?

Veteran's day here is Nov 11.

Notes 11th hour of 11th day of 11th month. It has been become a day for all our vets.

We have Memorial Day in May to commemorate all our fallen.