Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Having firearms deactivated?

Article about: Hi I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for having a live firing bolt action rifle deactivated legally. Its just that soon my Grandad is retiring from being a game

Default Having firearms deactivated?

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for having a live firing bolt action rifle deactivated legally. Its just that soon my Grandad is retiring from being a gamekeeper and has been unable to find anyone that will buy his rifle that he used to use for shooting deer. All the rest of the weapons, shotguns and .22 rifles have gone and all thats left is this rifle. I'm unsure of the manufacturer but its a very well high quality weapon and it would be a shame to hand it in to the police for disposal. He's willing to pass it on to me as long as I was willing to pay for it to be deactivated I've had a look on the internet already and as always I havent been able to find a straight answer So the big question is how would I go about doing this and around how much would it cost?

Thanks in advance

Danny

Default Re: Having firearms deactivated?

Hi Danny, to have any gun de-activated would be a crying shame.

I would look upon this as a real last resort. Why not sell to a dealer?

Re deactivation: any firearms dealer could do the work for you. I have no idea what they would charge? Your local Police should be able to advise you who can do the work locally. You can do this yourself if you have access to welding and milling or a grinding machinery. You then need to have it submitted to the Proof House for examination and certification.

The bolt face would be be cut at 45 degrees. Firing pin cut off short. Barrel needs to have a slot milled down it about 12 inches long, then a steel rod welded in place. The chamber then needs a pin inserting to prevent any round being inserted.

The various rules and regs can be found on either the Home Office or Police websites.

Cheers, Ade.

I think that dealers arent too keen on buying it for some reason or other, its already been turned down by a couple already
    And thanks for the information

Danny

Hi,if you go to this link,it tells you what you have to carry out to de-activate a gun to Home Office specs, Pete.

Document Summary

Hi Danny,

If this weapon is a high quality weapon then i would be wondering why any of the dealers arnt interested in buying it? what is the calibre? There should be a makers name on this firearm.
    The best way to get this deactivated would be to get your grandad to take it to his local firearms dealer and get them to do the work then they will submit it to the home office for approval and official stamping and a certificate.... around the 100 pounds mark.
    there is a chance that 100 pounds may well be more than the gun is worth tho.....

I think its the calibre of the weapon thats putting the dealers off, I reckon that its a fairly unusual type that isnt commonly used. I'll find out all the information about it soon. But I'm certain that even as a deact it would be worth over £100

Thanks

Danny

sounds interesting, keep us posted on what you find out

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    I think its the calibre of the weapon thats putting the dealers off, I reckon that its a fairly unusual type that isnt commonly used. I'll find out all the information about it soon. But I'm certain that even as a deact it would be worth over £100

Thanks

Danny
    Danny, the first thing to establish is the maker of the rifle and its caliber. If it is a run of the mill sporting rifle and you have it de-activated it will be worth nothing. If it is from a good maker and you de-activate it you will ruin it and still worth nothing.I used to deal in sporting guns and sentimental valus is worth nothing when it comes time to sell it on. Please post the info I asked for and I will give you the best advice I can. John.

its a shame that un-issued firearms need to be deactivated in some countries. Glad im in NZ. Pay $NZD 120 (40 Pounds) to get a license, and your sorted