Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Covert/Resistance Pistol

Article about: I recently acquired a large grouping from a US GI, who was with the 70th Infantry Division in Europe. Along with his Uniforms, helmet gear, maps and other items, along with a covert/resistan

?

Default Help with Covert/Resistance Pistol

I recently acquired a large grouping from a US GI, who was with the 70th Infantry Division in Europe. Along with his Uniforms, helmet gear, maps and other items, along with a covert/resistance type .22 cal pistol. This crudely pieced together "zip gun" type pistol with a sturdy barrel was welded to a frame, that apparently broke loose, with, it seems, one or a few shots. There are no identifying numbers, markings, manufacturer, etc. except for some crude stamped operating instructions (in English) on the wooden, handle grip that is "thumb screwed to the frame. The nicely milled .22 cal barrel unscrews where you place the .22 round and is fired by releasing the spring loaded firing pin.
    I am familiar with the covert type allied dropped pistols behind enemy lines and use by the OSS/SOE and other resistance Groups for taking out a Sentry, officer or whoever.
    This GI was mainly in France and Germany and also took part in the Liberation go Allied POW Camp Stalag XIIA in Limburg Germany.
    If at all possible, I would like to ask if anyone has any knowledge of this type of pistol and any history, use, manufacturer or groups that may have used this particular piece. I realize that there were a large amount and various types, styles and manufactures that worked with the Allies... but any help would be appreciated.

Help with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance Pistol
    Help with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance Pistol

?

Help with Covert/Resistance PistolHelp with Covert/Resistance Pistol

Strange thing-makes the 'Liberator' look like a Luger in comparison!

Very interesting gun. It looks like examples that I have seen that are labelled as homemade, however, it does look to have a relatively good construction. I wonder if it is a resistance made piece that has been stamped in English at a later date (possibly by the soldier who obtained it)

?

Interesting theories. Thanks.

?

Another interesting theory that I heard, the barrel and foreign mechanism was the primary weapon. And the handle was an after thought, and made, to help steady and shoot the gun with one hand or more easily.

?

Sorry. I meant firing mechanism. (Spell check was on).

?

Maybe that can attest to the cheap welding job?