Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Lee Enfield no.4 Rifle.

Article about: Hello everyone, Having posted a picture of a no.4 bayonet today its reminded me to get my rifle looked at. I would be grateful for any useful comments on this deactivated no.4. It was purcha

Default Help with Lee Enfield no.4 Rifle.

Hello everyone, Having posted a picture of a no.4 bayonet today its reminded me to get my rifle looked at. I would be grateful for any useful comments on this deactivated no.4. It was purchased very cheaply (£90) at a show, probably around 2002. Firstly, am I right in thinking it is a wartime rifle, made by Savage in the US? I believe it has then been upgraded in the 1950's. If anyone can confirm those things or make any other observations about it, that would be great. Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Lee Enfield  no.4 Rifle.   Help with Lee Enfield  no.4 Rifle.  

Help with Lee Enfield  no.4 Rifle.   Help with Lee Enfield  no.4 Rifle.  

Help with Lee Enfield  no.4 Rifle.  

Default Re: Help with Lee Enfield no.4 Rifle.

The markings on the left side of the receiver seem to be 'No4 Mk1/3 (F) FTR' the (F) mark indicates manufacture at Fazakerly in Liverpool and FTR indicates that the rifle underwent ' Factory Thorough Rebuild' at some stage, this was the process of updating older rifles, such as the Mk1 to Mk3 spec, ther may also be 'Savage' stampings on various components but it is possible that your particular rifle may have been made up of parts from various other rifles so you could have a bitsa, I will have a look through my Lee Enfield reference books and see what else I can find out, I have two No4 rifle myself (both live firers) and the numerous stamps and marks tell you just about all you need to know if you can inturprate them.

I dont think its wartime manufacture........the 53 prefix before the serial number is the same on my Fazakerly No4 which was also 1953 manufacture.......still nice rifle for a bargain price.....

Thanks very much for your expertise. I have just taken the wood off to look for more markings, there is a serial number and proof marks. I believed it to be made by Savage as the deact certificate says so. However, several of my certificates have mistakes on them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Lee Enfield  no.4 Rifle.   Help with Lee Enfield  no.4 Rifle.  

Yea, the proof marks on the barrel certainly look like British stamps, the 'S' stamp below the Fazakerly mark could be Savage but its not very clear in the picture, also I'm fairly sure the Savage ones were clearly marked Savage Arms Co or suchlike on the receiver............theres plenty of websites devoted to these things which can give you a whole lot more info than I can.......enjoy it anyway it looks good.

Annette Stuart
    ?

Thanks for that. I have been reading on the web, and its clear that the receiver at least, is a wartime Savage produced receiver no.4 mk1 * (as marked), a type only produced in the States and differing slightly in the design of the bolt rail near the bolt removal catch. The rifle went through a factory rebuild at Fazakerly in 1953 to upgrade it to No1/3 type which incorporated some minor improvements. Of course, any corrections or other comments are welcome.

Edit; this is douglas2496- I have accidently logged in with my wifes name via facebook.

As stated above, it is a Savage contract No4 mk1* (Savage had the contract but Stevens manufactured them under sub contract and the S logo is for Stevens rather than Savage). Long Branch of Canada also made the Mk1* but all UK manufactures remained with the Mk1 only. It was later upgraded in 1953 to MkI/3 (Note the number 3 as apposed to Roman III as the Mk system changed in late 1944) by adding the trigger to the body rather than having it attached to the trigger guard and this was carried out at Fazakerly (F) at the same time as the FTR (Factory Thorough Repair).

You will also see the serial number has been re-pantographed along side the FTR markings as the originals were often quite shallow and could disapeer under layers of paint. The C in the number could be for Chicopee falls, the place where Stevens manufactured the rifle, just like L in a Canadian Longbranch serial stands for Longbranch and T in a Inglis Bren serial means Toronto.

All Savage Stevens Enfield rifles had U.S.PROPERTY marked on them (Above the re-pantographed serial) but its possible that this was removed either in service (By an armourer who didn't agree) or post service by a civilian or another foreign power. The magazine is from a SMLE rather than being the correct No.4 mag so may not fit perfectly, and lastly the barrel is a replacement from another rifle, and judging by the Suffix A to the serial number, that rifle had some non interchangeable parts. If this had been done in service, the serial would have been struck through with 2 lines and the serial from the body marked in its place. Because of this, I think its been either replaced as a civilian gun or the rifle has been made from parts, are there any NP or BNP markings?

But after saying all that, for £90 10 years ago, you have done ok.

Thanks very much for that detailed and informative response, very useful. Certainly there is no sign of the US Property marking, and the receiver does indeed bear a BNP proof mark. As I collect on a fairly tight budget I am very happy with the rifle.