Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with my 1911A1!

Article about: I was bought this 1911A1 as a present for my 18th Birthday. As I live in Jersey, Channel Islands, we are actually one of the only places in Great Britain where you can own a pistol! I love t

Default Help with my 1911A1!

I was bought this 1911A1 as a present for my 18th Birthday. As I live in Jersey, Channel Islands, we are actually one of the only places in Great Britain where you can own a pistol!

I love the gun, its a nice salty original but it still shoots pretty good and means a lot to me, however, I can't work out exactly if it's matching or if it's pieced together from different manufactures, the slide is a remington rand slide however i do not know if the slide matches the rest of the gun!

Any help or knowledge greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ollie!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with my 1911A1!   Help with my 1911A1!  

Help with my 1911A1!   Help with my 1911A1!  

Help with my 1911A1!  

Default Re: Help with my 1911A1!

Hello Ollie,

Your Remington Rand slide is sitting atop a '43 dated Colt manufactured frame. Though not original to one another, the two appear to have been together for some time. It was also not uncommon for slide and frame to become mismatched during group cleaning or arsenal refurbishment; a testament to the venerable design of the 1911 that different manufactures' pieces would work flawlessly with one another.

Hope this is of help to you.

-Scharfschütze
    Last edited by Scharfschutze; 02-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Very nice looking 1911A1. Are those british proofs on it. I can't tell from the pictures.
    Thanks for sharing.
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Thanks guys,

Ah thats good to hear! I'm glad I know what I have now! I'm not actually sure what the proofs mean, I have had a quick look around the internet but have not found anything yet, was hoping someone on here might be able to help me out!

Ollie

I have actually found that the CP with the crown is actually the London Proof house marking, and therefore this 1911a1 was possibly a lend lease gun?

I thought it might be a lend lease gun.
    What a find even in its salty condition!!!
    Where you live in the Jersey, Channel Islands. Is it the only place under British common wealth that you can own live firearms like these???
    Thanks,
    John

Ollie,

You're right in that it carries British Definitive Proof marks, though these have been applied post war. The piece has been refitted by Springfield Armory and this would not have been the case were it issued as part of the lend lease agreement.

-Scharfschütze

You are right. I didn't notice the SA marking.

You've a nice piece of history in you hands, Ollie. All the better that it hasn't been butchered by current British law.

-Scharfschütze

Cheers for the help guys,
    Yes i noticed the Springfield Armory rebuild, I just wasn't sure who manufactured the frame. It looks to me like they have been paired a long time and the gun has certainly been places! Not a bad 18th birthday present if you ask me!

Ollie