MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help Please to ID Gun/Spare Barrel Carrier

Article about: This carrier is about 3 foot long and very heavy. It is made from very close weaved khaki webbing canvas with double thickness leather closure (reinforced with wood inside). The other end is

Default Help Please to ID Gun/Spare Barrel Carrier

This carrier is about 3 foot long and very heavy. It is made from very close weaved khaki webbing canvas with double thickness leather closure (reinforced with wood inside). The other end is reinforced with a studded leather cap fitted over a very heavy leather sleeve. Straps are leather with metal buckles and the carrying strap is webbing. Has the feel of pre WW2 to me - possibly WW1 era. Probably European but I don't think British. There are no markings showing manufacturer, issue etc. Very well made with rivets and close stitching.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Please to ID Gun/Spare Barrel Carrier   Help Please to ID Gun/Spare Barrel Carrier  

Help Please to ID Gun/Spare Barrel Carrier   Help Please to ID Gun/Spare Barrel Carrier  

I think it is not a barrel holder but a survey tripod holder, note the cap has a triangle shape for the instrument base. This is also why the bottom is reinforced to keep the base prongs from going through.

I'd also guess that it isn't as old as you think it is , but I'll let others determine the exact model.

I'll also go way out on a limb and say US.

NOT MY PICTURE and NOT THE MODEL I THINK GOES IN IT, just saying this is the type of object it is for......

Thank you very much Meyerse. Your explanation for its use as a case to carry a tripod sounds very likely. I'm hoping someone will come along and help narrow this down.

Admin - should I move this post to a different part of the forum? And if so how? Thank you

I did some further looking and I"m going to double down on my guess and say US case for a tripod by Dietzgen. A plane table tripod can be used for a variety of optical instruments (think construction).
    It looks like yours is missing the leather handle (you still have the loops), and the tripod of course.
    With people turning the tripods into lamps (why?) I'm guessing there are some of these cases floating around.

Dietzgen Plane Table Tripod

Image from website posted for posterity

That's great - thank you very much for doing the extra research