Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help w/ Swedish (?) 1919 Mauser

Article about: Hello, all! A customer at the recycling facility offered me this rifle. It started out as "This thing is collecting dust in my closet and I want to get rid of it... Here you go!" b

Default Help w/ Swedish (?) 1919 Mauser

Hello, all!

A customer at the recycling facility offered me this rifle. It started out as "This thing is collecting dust in my closet and I want to get rid of it... Here you go!" but quickly turned into "What is the best you can offer me?" when another customer overheard out conversation and blurted out: "THAT THING COULD BE WORTH A FORTUNE!"

Good on the guy for trying to make some money... he has every right to make some money on it... BUT free would have been better for me!

So... I know the pictures that I quickly snapped are crappy... but... What exactly is this thing? Is it worth adding to my collection? and What would a reasonable offer be?

It appears to be numbers matching!

Help w/ Swedish (?) 1919 MauserHelp w/ Swedish (?) 1919 Mauser

Default Re: Help w/ Swedish (?) 1919 Mauser

M1896 Long Rifle made by Carl Gustafs.

No idea on value. While well made, they don't really do it for me with Sweden being neutral in WW2. But a Finnish SA marked one would be more interesting as these did get used in anger.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    M1896 Long Rifle made by Carl Gustafs.

No idea on value. While well made, they don't really do it for me with Sweden being neutral in WW2. But a Finnish SA marked one would be more interesting as these did get used in anger.

Cheers, Ade.
    That's pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear, THANKS ADE!

I have already added so many new things recently, especially rifles... and I am quickly running out of space. I'll hold off on this rifle unless he decides to give it away again.

?

I sold mine for 300€...
    Nothing special

200-500 from what I saw in Washington before I moved, haven't seen one for sale in Albuquerque yet, though, maybe less due to the bolt being turned down. Don't think they originally came with turned down bolts.
    Last edited by theotherhomer; 09-30-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks, Paco and Homer. I really do appreciate your info!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks, Paco and Homer. I really do appreciate your info!

No problem, offer him around 210-225 if you're interested in the rifle, I hear they're tack drivers.

These Mauser rifles are the best made of all the many types made by and for the various countries that used Mauser action rifles-Swedish armed neutrality in both world wars was guaranteed by the large numbers made in Sweden-numbers were sent to Finland and also carried there by Swedish volunteers for use against the Soviets-they are superb target rifles, snipers and straight up military surplus, having been highly maintained by a disciplined army-the use of turned down bolts was primarily for 2 later models: the converted m96/38 and the new made m38, however no distinction was made in replacing an m96 straight bolt with a replacement bent one in Swedish use. The Swedish civil Guard were reluctantly parted from their govt issued m96s in the 1980s finishing a service use of some 90 years.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    These Mauser rifles are the best made of all the many types made by and for the various countries that used Mauser action rifles-Swedish armed neutrality in both world wars was guaranteed by the large numbers made in Sweden-numbers were sent to Finland and also carried there by Swedish volunteers for use against the Soviets-they are superb target rifles, snipers and straight up military surplus, having been highly maintained by a disciplined army-the use of turned down bolts was primarily for 2 later models: the converted m96/38 and the new made m38, however no distinction was made in replacing an m96 straight bolt with a replacement bent one in Swedish use. The Swedish civil Guard were reluctantly parted from their govt issued m96s in the 1980s finishing a service use of some 90 years.
    Amazingly informative, thanks Lithgow!