Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help wih rifle date and maker

Article about: Hello Guys .I have a NR 1 MK3* .303 rifle .I think it,s made in India ,it as various stamps ,a 52' is stamped on it, is this the time of manufacture or has it been refurbished at some point

?

Default Help wih rifle date and maker

Hello Guys .I have a NR 1 MK3* .303 rifle .I think it,s made in India ,it as various stamps ,a 52' is stamped on it, is this the time of manufacture or has it been refurbished at some point ,Any info in general and on the factory will be welcome.Thanks Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help wih rifle date and maker   Help wih rifle date and maker  

Help wih rifle date and maker  
    Attached Images Attached Images Help wih rifle date and maker  Help wih rifle date and maker 

Default Re: Help wih rifle date and maker

you are correct in it being indian, 52 is the date of manufacture and i think the 90 is the last 2 digits of the original serial number eg xxx90 which would imply that it isn't matching numbers

tom

Hello-'FR '52' is an Indian mark for factory repair 1952-Indian rifles were regularly rebuilt from older unserviceable weapons and are often found with a mixture of parts-what is under the bolt handle on the action body?-thats the start point for the origin-may have later marks on the other side of the action body as well-see my post for my Indian .410 musket conversion-the scimitar mark is a much later marking, probably a commercial proof/dealer mark.

?

Hello and thanks for the info ,there are no marks under bolt action completly blank.Paul

Could be a ex Brit rifle FTRd in India, they do have a habit of scrubbing the original markings off. The DA 90 mark is the London Proof House Deactivation mark meaning Deactivated in 1990, do you know who did it? was it Hillswood by any chance?

?

Hello there ,Sorry for the delay in replying just got back from work . On the deac certificate it says submitted by E.L.A.C. EAST LONDON ARMOURY CO,128 Gordon road,Illford ,Essex. Serial Nr 67024 and Country of origin U.k. Deactivation 30.03.90.Thanks for the info.Paul.

Not heard of them before, looks like a good job, better than the mess they make these days. I see your in Lincs, if your ever down Sleaford way, drop in for a chat and i'll show you my collection.

?

Thanks mate ,I will and thanks for the info again .Paul.