Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

High Standard Model 'B'

Article about: by COLT 1911A1 I agree with lithgow... A lot of HSs model HD have ''PROPERTY OF U.S.'' stamped on the right side...Even in the old published ''HANDGUNS OF THE WORLD'' there is a photo of a U

Default Re: High Standard Model 'B'

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Doubt that piece was officially issued. Maybe for executions, which I don't think would be a popular thing. I'll ask my buddies in SF. It also is a little bit long for a covert weapon.
    Maybe not model 'B', but many model 'HD' have PROPERTY OF U.S., i've seen also make-shift/cut-down .45 cal flap holsters to accommodate the weapon. Executions are not a GIs standard procedure, hated by the everyday troop, therefore i presume it was used for training/marksman. I'll try to find the photo of the helo crew brandishing the pistol...Maybe BILL, can contribute to the issue...
    Regards, Thanos.

Now that we aren't on ww2 anymore Yes I agree they were used for special ops Our U2 guy in the USA Francis Gary Powers that was shot down and captured Had a HS .22 and a cyanide pill and did not use either so much at risk too..

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Now that we aren't on ww2 anymore Yes I agree they were used for special ops Our U2 guy in the USA Francis Gary Powers that was shot down and captured Had a HS .22 and a cyanide pill and did not use either so much at risk too..

Eric
    At this point, we're beating a dead horse.

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Doubt that piece was officially issued. Maybe for executions, which I don't think would be a popular thing. I'll ask my buddies in SF. It also is a little bit long for a covert weapon.
    Reviewing the issue, i found the following in the web :
    From the site of High Standard; "...model 'B' was introduced in 1942. Some 44,000 were purchased by (U.S.) Government for troop training. It trained hundreds of thousends of U.S. troops...With the introduction of model HD (the same grip angle as of .45) a (unknown) number were purchased mainly for marksman units..."
    Some were equiped with muzzle brake and underbarrel weights...
    A huge lot survived the war as they weren't standard issue weapons...
    Here's the photo i remembered from 'Nam :
    High Standard Model 'B'
    I suspect that a number, specially fitted with a silencer ( other weapons : De Lisle carbine, Welrod pistol) served for covert/Black ops during WWII...
    Best regards, Thanos.

Some more info: Modern Firearms - Hi-Standard HDM silenced

BTW the pistol, in the hands of the Vietnam war era pilot, does not look like a Hi Standard.

?

Ahhh well done Thanos!!!! I have trashed my house looking for the book that shows this picture !!!!

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Some more info: Modern Firearms - Hi-Standard HDM silenced

BTW the pistol, in the hands of the Vietnam war era pilot, does not look like a Hi Standard.
    It's a HS CITATION allright, introduced in 1962; (the note on the photo mentions 1964 as the year of the taken photo). I found in the web that a number of .22 cal HS CITATION OLYMPICs bear the U.S. stamp on the left side...Surely enough they may were taken into service for marksman units and that's how it found it's way in the hands of the helo crew member...I also found out that a number of cilenced HSs were deployed in the Navy UDT for covert/black ops (infiltration/sentry dispatch).
    The photo is showing the marksman model CITATION fitted with a muzzle-brake and under-barrel weights...
    Anyway, the HSs were used a lot in WWII (training/OSS), COLD WAR, VIETNAM etc.
    Thanks lew07, i know what you mean, it had happened to me too, i had the book handy...
    Regards, Thanos.
    Last edited by COLT 1911A1; 09-22-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Speaking as an X-frogman in UDT 22 & 21 I can say we did have Hi Standard silenced 22's but they were not quite effective as anticipated in silencing dog's most were used on other creatures.

Adding to this old thread.

A few years ago I stopped at a yard sale with several old guns for sale. I asked if he had any 22 pistols for sale. He said he only had 1 and it wasn't for sale. His Dad carried it in WWII and it was a keepsake. It was a HS HD military in 22 long rifle. I asked why his Dad carried the 22 pistol. He said his Dad was a Captain assigned to train and work with Philipine guerillas against the Japanese. His Dad like the 22 HS and he was comfortable with it as a weapon. I doubt it was "issued" but none the less it was used in combat. His Dad told him his guerillas would hide along a trail waiting for a Japanese patrol to pass. His Dad would shoot the lead Japanese soldier in the side of the head and that was the signal for the guerillas to fire on the rest of the patrol. His Dad shot 13 Japanese soldiers this way. The guerillas would kill the whole Japanese patrol and hide the bodies. This had a very demoralizing effect on the Japanese occupying force.

He showed me the pistol and it was U S Property marked, and still in good condition.

Uncle Dudley

Default carbine

I have an HD Military High Standard with a 4 inch barrel marked US Property. It came from the great lakes Naval training station many years ago. I was told it was used to start out marksmanship training for pilots during WWII. You didn't want to Start a person out with a 45 or 38 that has never shot a handgun before. So I was told by the man I acquired it from.
    I need to take a picture for this thread.

John
    Last edited by guns ltd; 12-18-2013 at 02:14 AM. Reason: guns ltd
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast