Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Holster for Review - US or European?

Article about: I picked this holster up as part of an auction lot and would like opinions as to what it may have been for. It looks military since it has a number on the back. Does anyone know if this is U

Default Holster for Review - US or European?

I picked this holster up as part of an auction lot and would like opinions as to what it may have been for. It looks military since it has a number on the back. Does anyone know if this is US or European holster? Black leather. Could it be a German Nagant? Russian possibly or maybe a US Colt? Thanks for any information -
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	665299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	665300  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	024.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	665301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	665298  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	025.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	665302  

?

Maybe a Brit holster for for example a Webley revolver?

Looks like a Colt M1850/M1860 holster but probably not original (doesn't look 150 odd years old)-could be for film/TV or re enactor use-the pistol it fits has a very long barrel that isn't like more 'modern' late 19th century onwards revolvers.

Hi,
    It looks like a British Enfield revolver holster as they seem to have the same type of shape but i may be wrong, interesting to find out.
    Dave.

It does kind of look like an old colt holster but the barrel end is flat and not rounded.
    Quote by lithgow View Post
    Looks like a Colt M1850/M1860 holster but probably not original (doesn't look 150 odd years old)-could be for film/TV or re enactor use-the pistol it fits has a very long barrel that isn't like more 'modern' late 19th century onwards revolvers.

The long barrelled Colt/Remington type revolvers were widely used around the world in the mid/late19th century-They were a common police weapon here in colonial Australia and Canada for example-US Govt holsters are usually prominently embossed as such, so not US issue I would think. They numbers on the back of the holster look like they were added post manufacture so are probably a rack number or even a service/badge number for police use as black leather is more commonly associated with them than military use at the time.