Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The horrible blunderbus

Article about: The Blunderbus, Donderbus. It's a one off many, there are many sorts off them butt this one is from solid messing and is very beatiful with the carvings. Enjoy.

Benno
    ?

Default The horrible blunderbus

The Blunderbus, Donderbus.

It's a one off many, there are many sorts off them butt this one is from solid messing and is very beatiful with the carvings. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images The horrible blunderbus  The horrible blunderbus  The horrible blunderbus  The horrible blunderbus  The horrible blunderbus  The horrible blunderbus  The horrible blunderbus  The horrible blunderbus  The horrible blunderbus 

Default Re: The horrible blunderbus

BEAUTIFUL, and, what is the date on that?

Benno
    ?

I don't no, like the brown bess, i bought it in a antiquar in Weesp, Holland, an middelaged city, given it's cityright at 1550 ac. I live in Weesp in such a house also, anno1631. evrithing here in the town is antique. Hahaha, Napoleon, 300 years later, had taken this city also.

it looks like a reproduction with modern machining marks in the barrel mouth. I see no way to secure the barrel except with the tail screw. Looks a bit wobbly!

Cheers,
    Emile

All antique guns that I have owned whether pistol or long gun have had a barrel holding pin in the fore end, also your ramrod looks much too small for the bore of the gun. If you were to fire this gun with no foreend pin it would fly appart as the only thing holding the barrel is the rear tang screwed into the stock, as already pointed out. For me it is a wallhanger and not an authentic piece, sorry, John.

?

If I see correctly, there is pin in the fore end. The lock of the gun seems to me typical and well made flintlock, not tourist trash. I would think the barrel being cast they have cleaned it with lathe in late 1700 - early 1800, The flare (the bell?) is quite large and the ramrod seems to be very thin. The engravings seems to be not so good quality. Astonishing to me is the condition. It seems that is not even fired. The pictures are very bad and it's difficult to really say very strong opinions about the gun. Better pictures would be interesting to see.

Benno
    ?

Hallo,

This Blunderbus is, and thank you for saying so, Kala, is a good fire weapon, the parts do the talking. The blunderbus condition is good, and this weapon can hang at a fireplace for 200 years, so it's no strange, this weapon is perfect for it. In the old days it was in Holland they spot to hang it because of chickenthiefs, no joke.

Greetings, Mark.

Hi,
    I dont mean to sound rude in any way, but yes it is a horrible
    blunderbus. I also think it is repro, as it looks wrong IMO,
    There is no real patina to the metal of an age it is supposed to be.
    It would not hold together when firing it, (unless you want to lose your bottom jaw) the frizzen and pan look like they have never been burned. I hope you didnt pay to much for it.
    dave.

?

At first I though it's modern replica or fantasy piece. But as I can evaluate from the pictures, there is nothing wrong. I cant find a thing that proves it nothing else that it seem to be
    My opinion or feeling does't make justice for it. I think there must be facts support it's modern. The condition is allmost too good to be true, but it does not prove it's not. But that is only sophisticated guess.

?

The basic error you can make restoring antique things is over do it. Of course there should be corrosion due the use of black powder, but maybe nobody shot with it alot. Bronze is easy to clean and wood is easy to fix and iron can be cleaned to look better. This all is only my opinion based on a little experience for restoring old things in my time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.