Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

How about this early Rock Island 1903 rifle

Article about: I just bought for \\$725? Serial # 8741, bbl date, 6-07. It's just missing the front sight blade and middle barrel band, (correct replacement parts are on the way), otherwise it's in nice cond

?

Default How about this early Rock Island 1903 rifle

I just bought for $725? Serial # 8741, bbl date, 6-07. It's just missing the front sight blade and middle barrel band, (correct replacement parts are on the way), otherwise it's in nice condition and has an excellent bore.
    The rifle has not been up-graded or modified since the original arsenal change over from the Rod bayonet 30-03 cal. configuration. The RB pattern was recalled and no longer authorized and before Rock Island made any RB rifles, the parts that were already manufactured that were to be to be used for the RB rifle along with a new 30-06 barrel and stock were assembled into this rifle. It has all the correct early parts, the no bolt, high wood stock, still has the split rear sight base, also a early no sight groove hand guard, the small rear sight wheel and the Platinum rear sight line on the slider. The only negative is that the stock has been cleaned or boned which removed any visible date on the cartouche but the Rectangle box is still visible. Over all a pretty good bargain for a fairly scarce early Rock Island rifle. Bought it from a nice gentleman who said he bought a better one. Ray

How about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifle

?

Nice rifle.

Very Nice desirable rifle you have there.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Nice rifle just don't take a chance and shoot the low numbered RI 03

?

Quote by samnev View Post
    Nice rifle just don't take a chance and shoot the low numbered RI 03
    Thanks but I wouldn't think of shooting it, I'm not a gambler, Ray

?

Well the correct replacement middle band came and also the front sight blade. It's now in complete period trim, Ray

How about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifle

Great piece - I love these rifles - Congrats.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

A little more information about the Rock Island rifle I just acquired, and as they say, you live and learn, I was finally able to get at my book on the "Springfield Model 1903 Service Rifle" by John Beard and C.S. Ferris and which John had autographed for me and I looked up the serial number of the Rock Island rifle I just got. And I see, that according to the book, the rifle I have is not one of the rifles that was built up from stored parts that were awaiting the final rifle approval, and finally assembled after the approval and assembled regardless of period of manufacture.
    According to the book, my rifle is one of the first standard production ones built in January 1907 using entirely newly manufactured parts. The barrels of the rifles built after that date reliably indicate the approx. date of manufacture of the receiver and rifle, un-like the parts rifles which have no date consistency. Here's a sampling from the book of these first year standard made rifles. You will note that the receiver serial number and the barrel date of mine falls within the sampling on the list.
    I think that makes my rifle one of the earliest Rock Island rifles to come off the assembly line as an original production built rifle. It being made in the first months, of the first year, of standard 1903 manufacture at Rock Island Arsenal. I think that's kind of neat. Ray

How about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifleHow about this early Rock Island 1903 rifle

That is cool as hell, Ray.