Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How about some WWII French rifles.

Article about: Here are three pre war, or war time MAS 36, rifles that made their way to the states probably as bring backs or "captured" rifles by GI's. They are not the common surplus refurbish

?

Default How about some WWII French rifles.

Here are three pre war, or war time MAS 36, rifles that made their way to the states probably as bring backs or "captured" rifles by GI's. They are not the common surplus refurbished rifles that were imported a few years back. These rifles still have their original finish and neither have any import stamps.

The first one on top is dated Jan. 1940. and has a LK5 stamped in the stock. This stamp, and other similar stamps only with numbers LK 7 & 9 are found on a number of rifles from various countries the Germans either occupied or fought. So it is a German applied stamp most likey identifying the rifles as ok for German service.

The 2nd one is dated May 1939, the barrel is dated 1938.

The 3rd one is called a Mystery rifle as it has no markings except the main MAS 36 stamp and a three number serial number stamped only on the receiver and bolt. It has a 1940 dated barrel. No-one knows exactly when it was made as the arsenal documents have not been found and were either destroyed or lost. Opinion is that it was made just after the Germans took over and possible put together with parts that remained at the arsenal for either the French Reistance or for the French Vichy Government after the Germans closed down the arsenal. Ray
    How about some WWII French rifles.How about some WWII French rifles.How about some WWII French rifles.How about some WWII French rifles.
    Last edited by RayG; 11-17-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Default Re: How about some WWII French rifles.

hey ,

On the photo of the stock, there is the serial number and just before that a symbol which apears to be an H, do you know what it means? i have a very similar mark on my Mannlicher-Berthier 1892 and im wondering what it means, could you help?

thanks,

Berthier92

I just want to correct myself, on mine it apears to be an F, however I do have the H (with a crown above it) further up the stock

?

The prefex letters are series numbers and change every 100,000 numbers and probably the same in the Berthiers.
    Look on this thread about the serial numbers of the MAS 36 with the prefex letters to show how they change every 100,000 numbers, Ray

MAS Mle 1936 Survey for the New Forum

Thanks for the thread :-)

Berthier92

?

Here's the thread on all French rifles Berthier92. Posts include all French rifles. Ray French Firearms Board

Hey, sorry to chime in on an old thread any chance you looking to sell any of these? So hard to find these pre war ones!

Quote by Dannyjunkfish View Post
    Hey, sorry to chime in on an old thread any chance you looking to sell any of these? So hard to find these pre war ones!

Sorry but you missed out on it by a year sold it to a friend who got her working again, shoots beautifully!

Quote by Berthier92 View Post
    Sorry but you missed out on it by a year sold it to a friend who got her working again, shoots beautifully!
    Thanks, For getting back to me so quickly!

Quote by Dannyjunkfish View Post
    Thanks, For getting back to me so quickly!

No worries

Now I have a nice Schmidt Rubin 1911 Infantry rifle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast