Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many UK members actually collect live firearms?

Article about: I was wondering this as every post by British members seems to be about Deacs-just curious as this would mean the UK market was effectively a closed one.

Question How many UK members actually collect live firearms?

I was wondering this as every post by British members seems to be about Deacs-just curious as this would mean the UK market was effectively a closed one.

Default Re: How many UK members actually collect live firearms?

Lithgow, interesting question.....it is extremly difficult as you probably know, to own live weapons here in the U.K. ! however there is an anomaly within the firearms act that allows the possesion of a "live" weapon (without any restrictions and no certificate), so long as that weapons ammunition is obsolete.....I infact own an unmolested 1883 Reichsrevolver which has been shown on this site before, however should I obtain/posses any ammunition for this gun it will return to Sec 5 status under the firearm act, and I would be forced to apply for a certificate (which I probably would not be granted !). I am now looking for an M71/84 Mauser which is also classed as obsolete ammo. Prost ! Steve.

?

I'm curious about this also. As a firearms licence holder I know the hoops I had to jump through to obtain one. I had to demonstrate just cause for me to own a firearm. I am guessing that if a collector of historical firearms could show a genuine reason for owning one he/she could legally obtain one. I am assuming that anyone who wanted to own such a weapon would need to be a member of a club and could only use the weapon on home office approved ranges or as organised by the club they belong to.
    The reason 'just because I want one' wouldn't be an option under U.K. law as far as I understand because if that is the case then a de-ac would be the route to go.
    To own a sporting firearm (in my case) I had to show the police I had a good reason to own it, provide proof I have approved land to use it by getting landowners to sign letters to that effect, state the quarry I would pursue, what calibres, how much ammunition I intend to buy and hold at any one time. The police then had to do a thorough background check on me, they contacted my nominated referees and asked questions about me personally, they had to visit the land I have permission to shoot on to make sure it was suitable for the calibre rifles I wish to own, they visited my house to check security and to ask me further questions and after about six months I eventually got my ticket. I am held to the terms and conditions specified on the ticket regarding number of weapons and in which calibre, ammunition, sound moderators, land and can only shoot the quarry listed on my licence.
    I would be very interested to know of any U.K. collector who does legally own a fully functioning live firing historical weapon and how they obtained the licence.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by oradour View Post
    Lithgow, interesting question.....it is extremly difficult as you probably know, to own live weapons here in the U.K. ! however there is an anomaly within the firearms act that allows the possesion of a "live" weapon (without any restrictions and no certificate), so long as that weapons ammunition is obsolete.....I infact own an unmolested 1883 Reichsrevolver which has been shown on this site before, however should I obtain/posses any ammunition for this gun it will return to Sec 5 status under the firearm act, and I would be forced to apply for a certificate (which I probably would not be granted !). I am now looking for an M71/84 Mauser which is also classed as obsolete ammo. Prost ! Steve.
    Interesting Steve, I didn't know about the obsolete ammunition clause.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Interesting Steve, I didn't know about the obsolete ammunition clause.
    Adrian...heres the law as it stands today....(tommorow might be a different matter !) Home Office as my Reichsrevolver is 10mm it is covered. Here is the revolver.. Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How many UK members actually collect live firearms?  

I've a Smith & Wesson No1 1/2 in .32 rimfire which is obsolete, however the same gun .22 is illegal as the ammo is obviously readily available. I also have a Boys AT rifle which is a Deac as it was on a shotgun cert prior to me owning it (Smoothbored) and when the law changed, the owner had it deactivated as he couldn't provide a reasonable excuse to having a license for a large calibre rifle. I now understand that the .55" boys cartridge maybe going the same way as the Vickers .5" MG round and become obsolete, if that happens, I know where there is a New unused .55 Boys barrel to buy.

I just did a search at the place I order much of my ammo from and they show plenty of 10mm ammo.
    Even 500 round bulk boxes ... maybe because they are 10mm auto?

Just curious but does obsolete mean world wide or just within your reach.

Rudy (does not like your gun laws)
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

The 10mm you will have seen will be the auto type, diffrent to the old 10mm Mosin type. The term obsolete, refers to the availability of the ammunition in that calibre. It is taken to mean that if it is no longer commercially available, and there are no large stock piles to be used, the calibre is obsolete.

Thanks m3bobby, I suspected the round was different.

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Lithgow, I always wonder at that myself. I am in the States and here,we can own live firearms(full auto ones also,so long as you go through the circus of paperwork involved with the full auto's) and whenever I see a post here from the UK mentioning some fine gun that's been de-activated,I can't help but cringe! I Know it's the only way that the UK-ers can ever hope to own such things,but,to me,I just hate to see a fine gun "euthanised"! I have to wonder,just how all of those very strict gun-laws over there have affected the murder and crime rates. Sure hope it's all been worth it,the death of all these fine old relics of history! ! William

And,yes-we can can often,over here,also get around the obsolete ammo problems. Gun enthusiasts can reload most all old calibers and shells. Sometimes,you even have to reform cases into different bores,etc,but it can and often is done. In the case with the old black powder guns,it's almost the only way to do it-packing your own loads. I remember,years ago,I used to have to make shells for my Martini-Henry 450-577.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast