Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Indonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood Rifle

Article about: Hello gents, i just bought this curious thing in flea market in here. Annoyed from this ads?   Lee-Enfield rifle made from all wood. The shape is well made and really similar with the o

Lightbulb Indonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood Rifle

Hello gents, i just bought this curious thing in flea market in here.
    Lee-Enfield rifle made from all wood. The shape is well made and really similar with the original Lee-Enfield including the length
    Indonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood Rifle

The condition of the wood. Some chips and sign of old age
    Indonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood Rifle

There's some trace remain of dark green paint

I think it once have all green color like this

And based from all of this. I think this curious made rifle was once made by the TRI (Tentara Republik Indonesia) or it's successor TNI for training it's new recruit (or maybe during the japanese era as well?). Maybe both the shortage of rifle or the policy of TNI at that time for it's new recruit.

Using of the wood made rifle both during japanese era and during the independence war in 1945-49.
    Using the length model like arisaka complete with bayonet?

Hope you enjoy and thank you for watching and Is there anyone ever see this kind of wood made rifle for training before? Maybe the same lee-enfield?

Interesting and very old..Feldgrau. I would think the wood is from your country..as the wood cutters there are very talented. My question is why was the Enfield chosen as a model for training. Oh by the way " Dirgahayu Republik Indonesia"..this Sunday August 17 Independence Day.
    I still see the new recruits still practice marching up the main street in Ambon..no wooden models or guns. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I like it Feldgrau, if I had the chance to buy it at a local flea market, I would have done it.

?

Nice I rather like it as well and think you are very probably correct that it indeed was used as a training aid I would have scooped it up as well and it would be hanging on my wall as we speak.

Regards Mark

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Interesting and very old..Feldgrau. I would think the wood is from your country..as the wood cutters there are very talented. My question is why was the Enfield chosen as a model for training. Oh by the way " Dirgahayu Republik Indonesia"..this Sunday August 17 Independence Day.
    I still see the new recruits still practice marching up the main street in Ambon..no wooden models or guns. Regards Larry
    I think because lee-enfield was one of the rifle used by the TNI at that time, beside mannlicher or arisaka.
    KITLV Digital Media Library - TNI-militair op wacht voor de Gubernuran, destijds zetel van president Soekarno, te Jogjakarta
    KITLV Digital Media Library - Parade door de TNI voor de Gubernuran te Jogjakarta ter gelegenheid van het bezoek van de Goodwill missie uit de Negara Indonesia Timur
    KITLV Digital Media Library - Parade door de TNI voor de Gubernuran te Jogjakarta ter gelegenheid van het bezoek van de Goodwill missie uit de Negara Indonesia Timur
    lee-enfield

KITLV Digital Media Library - TNI-militairen op wacht voor de Gubernuran, destijds zetel van president Soekarno, te Jogjakarta
    mannlicher

Indonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood RifleIndonesian Made Lee-Enfield Wood Rifle
    Arisaka

Btw i asked my friend who knows military history during independence war era and present, he said during the japanese era people in the kampong / village made their own wood rifle and used it for military training purposes. The shape is just random like rifle.
    Afterward, the TNI made their own training rifle such as Arisaka and maybe including this lee-enfield.
    And during late 1950's onward maybe until the end of sukarno's era, the "MENWA" (the University Student Regiment" used wood rifle with the model of M1 garand or BM-59.

And thank you.

I see i guess the same in here.

Quote by stekker View Post
    I like it Feldgrau, if I had the chance to buy it at a local flea market, I would have done it.
    Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Nice I rather like it as well and think you are very probably correct that it indeed was used as a training aid I would have scooped it up as well and it would be hanging on my wall as we speak.

Regards Mark
    Thank you gents.
    I think i'm lucky in here because i already saw this thing hanging on one of the seller shop. But i'm still thinking and thinking during that time because i afraid if this a modern replica. Because there's abundant of modern replica antique sell in here. But after i saw it closely, i decide to take the bet.

And is there anyone know how to preserve wood based collection like this?

Most armies of the period used wooden DP (Drill Practice) rifles both for square bashing and basic combat training especially if they were short of the real thing-the nose cap says it was a 'copy' of the SMLE/No.1 Mk III. These sorts of thing don't tend to survive as they end up as fire wood when no longer needed!

I see, that's really interesting! Thank you for the information.

These weapons are due to become the standard issue weapon of the British Army by 2015. The British government made an announcement last week that because of the financial short-fall, they have found it necessary to find an alternative rifle to arm the regular troops once their numbers are reduced to 500. It is claimed that by using this weapon, significant savings can be made through the reduction in expenditure of ammunition. They went on to claim that it will encourage the troops to engage the enemy at a closer range than they normally would when firing live ammunition. It is also hoped that by 2019 that all current military bases will be decommissioned and one of the new aircraft carriers will be able to supply sufficient accommodation for every member of the Regular Army. The RAF will also use the carrier for their helicopter and one remaining fighter plane.

Well the Australian navy still has several tugs and trawlers operational so I think we'll be OK!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Well the Australian navy still has several tugs and trawlers operational so I think we'll be OK!!
    Thank god for that! They will be able to manoeuvre our carrier out of Sydney Harbour when the reactor shuts down due to lack of maintenance.