Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Info on Enfield Butt Disk

Article about: Hi, I would like to know the markings that would have been on a butt disk for the 8th Batt Norfolk Regt, the reason i ask is, I have a No 1 mk 111 enfield dated 1914 in my collection. My dad

Default Info on Enfield Butt Disk

Hi,
    I would like to know the markings that would have been on a butt disk for the 8th Batt Norfolk Regt, the reason i ask is, I have a No 1 mk 111 enfield dated 1914 in my collection.
    My dads cousin cpl John Pendrill was killed at Albert on the Somme Mon, Feb 19th 1917, aged 20yrs,
    i would like to make this enfield into a memorial rifle for him. but dont have the info that goes on the butt disk, it has no but disk at the moment so an original will be new to the rifle, If anyone can help i would be most obliged.
    Dave,

Default Re: Info on Enfield Butt Disk

Dave

NK was the official abbreviation for the Norfolk Regiment according to this site.

Markings on British and Commonwealth Bayonets

8th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Norwich in September 1914 as part of K2 and came under orders of 53rd Brigade in 18th (Eastern) Division.
    25 July 1915 : landed at Boulogne.
    12 February 1918 : disbanded in France, officers and men going to 7th and 9th Battalions.

The Norfolk Regiment in 1914-1918

Regards

Richie

PS - just looked through my documents and I happen to have the War Diary for 8 Norfolks. It is a 30MB file so I can't attach it here.

If you care to PM me with an e-mail address I will be quite happy to send it you if it would be of any interest.

It would be marked with a issue date (Of the rifle to the recieving unit) at the 12 o'clock position so anything after 1.14 (For Jan 1914, the rifle being of 1914 manufacture) would be fine. 8 N.F. for 8th Battalion Norfolk regiment and then a rack number at the 6 0'clock position.

I assume you have seen this also?

Lance Corporal 16545. 8th Bn., Norfolk Regiment. (Memorial gives Private in 10th Battalion Norfolk Regiment). Died of wounds in France & Flanders on Monday 19 February 1917. Born Loddon. Enlisted Norwich. Buried: DERNANCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, Somme, France. Ref. V. C. 9.

Roll of Honour - Norfolk - Sedgeford

Im about 99% sure this is your dads cosuins grave circled in red.

Hi Richie B and Bobby,
    Thanks so much for your replies i can now work on the rifle and get it finished, i do have the paperwork on John and the cemetery in Albert but not the great pic you have put for me. i would love to read the war diaries of the 8th, so have sent a Pm thank you both.
    Dave.