Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting Belgian carbine

Article about: I came across a rather interesting Belgian flintlock carbine at Earlestown market this morning. Obviously restored - but very nicely done. The barrel is in very nice condition with the engra

Default Interesting Belgian carbine

I came across a rather interesting Belgian flintlock carbine at Earlestown market this morning. Obviously restored - but very nicely done. The barrel is in very nice condition with the engraving still showing up well. The action is nice and crisp. I would assume that this was probably made for mounted troops, and going off the engraving - possibly for an officer.

Interesting Belgian carbineInteresting Belgian carbineInteresting Belgian carbineInteresting Belgian carbineInteresting Belgian carbineInteresting Belgian carbine

?

Nice carbine,I have an old percussion rifle which I have posted before.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

More likely a civilian piece-military weapons were not decorated to any degree and officers didn't use long arms-that's what troopers are for!

It is a short carbine - not a long-arm, and officers did use short carbines. When I was serving at Woolwich in 1969, the old Rotunda museum housed some fine examples of officer's carbines. Several of these weapons were engraved and had chequered stocks. Officers often went down the 'private purchase' route when arming themselves with weapons, and would often go for something which served as an example of their standing and wealth.

CBH
    ?

Wouldn't even a private purchase weapon have a bayonet lug , in for a penny in for a pound . Just a question .
    cheers

Cavalry carbines generally didn't take bayos-the cavalry had swords or lances for close combat-other types of mounted troops such as engineers or artillery would have bayo fitted weapons though as they didn't normally fight on horseback and would need to defend themselves against enemy troops. Practices in different countries and over time did vary on this as well.
    This is my Royal Irish Constabulary carbine-these were converted from British army Lee Enfield Cavalry Carbines none of which had bayos, but the paramilitary RIC wanted bayos for crowd control so the fore end was altered to fix the P1888 bayo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Belgian carbine   Interesting Belgian carbine  

Last edited by lithgow; 11-01-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote by lithgow View Post
    More likely a civilian piece-military weapons were not decorated to any degree and officers didn't use long arms-that's what troopers are for!
    Also my opinion.
    Also military weapons would bear military stamps like GP or GB or just B.
    The LG stamp seems younger then the weapon and the other marks, no expert to explain why...it is just what I see...
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

The E over LG proof mark was the sole proof-mark used by the Belgians between 1810 and 1853. After that date it became the definitive proof mark. As it is the ONLY proof mark on the weapon, I would assume that it is the 'sole' proof mark. There is nothing in the way of stamps to indicate that this gun is for military issue, it is simply a carbine with a military-size bore, and a barrel of just a fraction under 24 inches. The engraving is minimal. The gun is simply a very interesting carbine of its type, with unknown history. It might have been private purchase by a military person, I simply do not know!

Nice looking weapon, what calibre is it Steve?...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Nice looking weapon, what calibre is it Steve?...
    It measures at just a fraction over 15mm. Probably 15.2mm cal.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast