Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Israeli markings on Chilean Mauser??????

Article about: Hi Gents I came by this scruffy Chilliean Mauser 1912 mod (G98) recently, and found this marking on the butt, does anyone know what it means? a "B", within in a star of david, with

Reg
    ?

Default Israeli markings on Chilean Mauser??????

Hi Gents

I came by this scruffy Chilliean Mauser 1912 mod (G98) recently, and found this marking on the butt, does anyone know what it means? a "B", within in a star of david, within a circle?

Any help much appreciated.

Best wishes

Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Israeli markings on Chilean Mauser??????   Israeli markings on Chilean Mauser??????  

?

Default Re: Israeli markings on Chilean Mauser??????

I can't help you about the letter "B", but I believe from what I've been told in the past a lot of weapons from the 1948 war to create the modern Jewish state of Israel have the Star of David stamped upon them, most ironically a lot of these weapons were WWII surplus item made in Nazi Germany.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

The fledgling Israeli state took on literally anything that they could get there hands on in the way of arms and equipment by any means at there disposal, that is why there was such a plethora of "surplus" US, British and German kit in Israel, up to and including the present day.
    It is a known, documented fact that the fledgling IDF, (Israeli Defence Forces), had Stug 3/4s alongside ex-US M4 Shermans, halftracks etc. And dont get started on the personal clothing and equipment of the troops, you can find period photos of them wearing/carrying everything from ex-British BD, SMLEs, Gew98s, Brens etc.

I think that the word "eclectic" just about sums up the early IDF!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Reg
    ?

Cheers guys

Ive noticed the deact cert states its 7.92mm when its actually 7.00mm calibre (vernier calipers proved it) should I run down to the proof house in my anorak, carrying a thermos and vernier?

Reg

Dont worry about what the deac says, as long as the serial numbers match. You dont actually legaly need the cert, it just helps. I've got a South African 7.62mm Bren which states its from the U.S.S.R., a 8mm Bren that states its .303 and another .303 from the USA!