Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,

Article about: I have a 7.35mm carbine that I got from an old school friend. His grandfather brought it back when he came home from the war. He said it had been captured from the Germans but I don't know a

Grutte Pier
    ?

Question Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,

I got a question regarding the German use of Carcano rifles, I believe they gained big amounts of these rifles when Italy capitulated to the Allies but did they also use them in great quantity?, and if so, did they make any adjustments to it?, thanks in advance.

Default Re: Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,

Quote by Grutte Pier View Post
    I got a question regarding the German use of Carcano rifles, I believe they gained big amounts of these rifles when Italy capitulated to the Allies but did they also use them in great quantity?, and if so, did they make any adjustments to it?, thanks in advance.
    Kerighoff converted Carcano's to 8mm Mauser.. There were also tons of them used by the VolksSturm in the closing days of the war...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Grutte Pier
    ?

Thumbs up Re: Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Kerighoff converted Carcano's to 8mm Mauser.. There were also tons of them used by the VolksSturm in the closing days of the war...BILL
    Thanks for replying mister Grist, I already thought you would have an answer to my question, did only the Volksturm use them or also other units?, I remember reading a book regarding the fighting around the Remagen bridge, it also mentioned a weapon list containing numbers of Carcano rifles. I just purchased a Carcano throughout the internet, here some sellers pictures, I will receive it next week.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,   Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,  

Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,  

Johnnie
    ?

I read an article in "Deutsch Waffen Journal" a few months back about a tremendous number of Carcanos being used by Bavarian police post war. I wish I had kept the article.

Johnnie

Grutte Pier
    ?

Arrow Re: Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,

Quote by Johnnie View Post
    I read an article in "Deutsch Waffen Journal" a few months back about a tremendous number of Carcanos being used by Bavarian police post war. I wish I had kept the article.

Johnnie
    I think lots of Counties and people used it after the war Johnnie, probably most known is Lee Harvey Oswald.

Johnnie
    ?

Quote by Grutte Pier View Post
    I think lots of Counties and people used it after the war Johnnie, probably most known is Lee Harvey Oswald.
    There is a very informative website devoted to Carcanos. I forget the address but run a Google on Carcanos and you will find it easily.
    There seems to be a lot of misinformation about them, popularised by the American armchair gun press. I did an article on them once for an Italian militaria magazine called "Coorte".
    They were used extensively after the war by many groups.. Evidently the Israelis used quite a few in their independence war in 48. It is believed that a lot of the 7.92mm conversions are actually Israeli.
    The rifle you picture seems to be the original M-91 long rifle. I have one in the States. It was made by Terni in 1917, and rebuilt in Rome during the Second War, and then restored by me in a weapons repair shop I worked at. Someday I will get around to collecting all of the carbines.
    When new, they were actually well made and funtional rifles, especially the 1938 versions.
    During the 1950'-60s Italian rifle teams would often win NATO rifle competitions with them against other teams using M-1's ect.

Cheers,
    Johnnie

Grutte Pier
    ?

Quote by Johnnie View Post
    There is a very informative website devoted to Carcanos. I forget the address but run a Google on Carcanos and you will find it easily.
    There seems to be a lot of misinformation about them, popularised by the American armchair gun press. I did an article on them once for an Italian militaria magazine called "Coorte".
    They were used extensively after the war by many groups.. Evidently the Israelis used quite a few in their independence war in 48. It is believed that a lot of the 7.92mm conversions are actually Israeli.
    The rifle you picture seems to be the original M-91 long rifle. I have one in the States. It was made by Terni in 1917, and rebuilt in Rome during the Second War, and then restored by me in a weapons repair shop I worked at. Someday I will get around to collecting all of the carbines.
    When new, they were actually well made and funtional rifles, especially the 1938 versions.
    During the 1950'-60s Italian rifle teams would often win NATO rifle competitions with them against other teams using M-1's ect.

Cheers,
    Johnnie
    Thanks for the additional information, didn’t know that they where considered to be that good, very interesting to know, the rifle is indeed a original M91 long rifle and Terni marked, hope to have it next weekend, will ad some pictures of it then, thanks again for replying Johnnie.

Here is a picture in my collection that shows Italian Carcano and 98k, etc surrendered in Bavaria during the last days of WW2 in Europe...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Carcano rifles used by the Germans?,  
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Grutte Pier
    ?

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Here is a picture in my collection that shows Italian Carcano and 98k, etc surrendered in Bavaria during the last days of WW2 in Europe...BILL
    Great picture mister Grist, thanks for sharing it, if then they only knew the value of that pile of “rubbish” later in time.

i have a couple of M-38 carconos that my grandpa brought back from the war.I post pics as soon i can get to them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast