Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringback

Article about: Ah! the Aleutians-arse end of the Earth-British troops of the 14th Army in Burma used to call themselves 'The Forgotten Army' but they were International superstars compared to the forces in

Default Japanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringback

Hi all! Today I am displaying the type 99 Japanese Arisaka that my family member brought back. He acquired this trophy while serving on the Aleutian Island of Attu. The rifle is unfortunately missing the monopod and anti-aircraft wings but other than that, all parts are matching. Does anyone know how to tell when and where this rifle was made? For those of you who do not know, the Japanese did invade part of North America in World War 2. My family member served in the 7th Infantry Division during this time. The rifle was relieved of its original owner after the last ditch Banzai charge that the Japanese conducted on 29 May 1943. The bayonet also was brought back after this last ditch battle. Once I listen to the tape I interviewed my family member on again, I will start a new thread telling his story because it is quite remarkable.
    Thaddeus

Japanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringbackJapanese type 99.... Aleutian Islands Vet bringback

?

Hello and welcome to the forum! If my eyes are correct you have a 4th series Type 99 Arisaka made by the Nagoya Arsenal.

?

Your bayonet was made by the tokyo arsenal.

?

A ground mum indicates a surrendered rifle, not something typically seen on a battle captured weapon.
    Regards,
    John

great looking rifle . And Welcome to the forum.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

dramos- Thank you for the information you provided me!
    relicsz- Charlie was required to have the mum ground off when he sent this rifle back to Philadelphia. He told me that was one of the conditions that had to happen to send it back.
    guns ltd- Thanks

- - Updated - -

dramos- Thank you for the information you provided me!
    relicsz- Charlie was required to have the mum ground off when he sent this rifle back to Philadelphia. He told me that was one of the conditions that had to happen to send it back.
    guns ltd- Thanks

?

No problem! I just acquired one of these rifles myself. They are cool guns!

They are very neat! The ammo is a bit pricey though. I definitely would not shoot the other type 99 I have..... It is very salty!

?

Definitely not an everyday shooter, but a nice treat every once in a while.

?

Nice rifle, these have arguably the strongest action ever produced on a bolt action battle rifle.
    Last edited by relicz; 08-27-2013 at 11:04 PM.
    Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast