Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Type 99 or Type 38

Article about: hi, which would be better as far as gun in your opinion? thank as i have to chose one and cant make my mind up?

?

Default Japanese Type 99 or Type 38

hi, which would be better as far as gun in your opinion? thank as i have to chose one and cant make my mind up?

?

Default re: Japanese Type 99 or Type 38

It would all depend if you are getting them as shooter's or a collection peice.
    You have to tell what condition, Mfg, series,Is the Mum there?
    I have both and the 38 is long an lanky and the 99 is short and sweet.
    I like the 6.5 better, well I'm a better shot with the 38

?

thanks ,both have complete mun s and the 38 is a little better condition wize ,but the 99 looks better short and sweet like you said! can you still buy ammo for them?i dont even know what they take as iam offered both the 99 for $700 with the sling and the 38 with leather sling but broke?$650

?

Yeah, it really boils down to preference.....personally, I collect carbines because I like to shoot my rifles. I do own a 38 but only because it was a take home that my father in-law gave to me (belonged to his uncle who faught in the Pacific - still has the mum).

It displays nicely (I even have the Type 30 bayo attached - things bigger than me and I'm 6'1") but will take up a lot of wall space!

Not sure on the prices though without seeing pictures....

Ammo is availble...if you can find surplus, it will be cheaper. Cheaperthandirt.com has factory ammo at $34 for a box of 20. Not cheap to shoot, I'll tell you that!!

49302 - 6.5x50 Japanese Norma Rifle Cartridge, 156-Grain Soft Point Bullet, 2067 fps, 20 Rounds

?

thank you for the help!

The 99 is $700 but most of the cost is in the canvest sling, i am trying to get him to sell just the gun for $500 as is a numbers matching and has full mum..the 38 is in way better condition but it so big looking, kinda like the 99 but we will see what happens as iam kind of stuck on which to get?

Thanks again. Pammy

?

Default Re: Japanese Type 99 or Type 38

For that price they should be excellent/mint or rare.

Default Re: Japanese Type 99 or Type 38

I agree with AZPhil. The majority of the Jap rifles of this ilk that I have and have seen are considered expensive at $350. I would demand an original shipping crate as part of a $700 package. Of course, your locale may affect the price as noted. Still, if you're in the U.S. you can do lots better, price wise.

Rick