Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Jungle Carbine

Article about: I was at a very large estate auction recently and was lucky enough to buy this Enfield No. V Jungle Carbine. I had no idea there were going to be any firearms for sale because none were adve

Default Jungle Carbine

I was at a very large estate auction recently and was lucky enough to buy this Enfield No. V Jungle Carbine. I had no idea there were going to be any firearms for sale because none were advertised. The auction house was just going from room to room bringing items outside and selling them. This and a 1903 springfield were in the bedroom closet. I didn't get the Springfield but both guns sold at a great price. I have always wanted a jungle carbine and I was just in the right spot at the right time! It is dated March 1945.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Jungle Carbine   Jungle Carbine  

Jungle Carbine   Jungle Carbine  

Jungle Carbine  

Default Re: Jungle Carbine

Looks like a nice example!

?

Great gun and with a little TLC she should shine. Gary

Indeed, a very nice rifle. I love almost any type of carbine because of their shorter length.

Congratulations, Tyrone

Hi Soalebm, that is a nice rifle! I bought a jungle carbine several years ago and I love it, but it kicks like a bull elephant. That rubber butt doesn't help much. It's always gonna be a great piece of history. I still find it hard to believe you shoot the same .303 out of that short rifle that the fine British pilots in Spitfires were shooting at German 109's.

I have a mint example of a #5, low serial number, and have always heard about the wandering zero said of the carbine.
    Some say it's due to the lightening cuts made to the receivers to reduce weight, others say it was the use of shortened #4 barrels that causes the phenomena but I have not seen the problem in accuracy out to only 100 yards.
    Great rifle still and fun to shoot. I admit I don't shoot it often, just to preserve it's condition.

Stormtrooper
    ?

Man, I'd love to have one of those Sweeties! I have 2 MK3's and A no.4. They are the most forgiving rifles that I've ever shot. I'm very Far sighted and I can hit with them pretty good

?

I used to have one in the mid 80's. They sold cheap over here. As stated before, it kicked too much for my shoulder and I only shot a box of rounds with it, that was enough! Nice piece !

That looks like a nice No. 5. The screw through the forend means it saw service in India at some point.

?

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Hi Soalebm, that is a nice rifle! I bought a jungle carbine several years ago and I love it, but it kicks like a bull elephant. That rubber butt doesn't help much. It's always gonna be a great piece of history. I still find it hard to believe you shoot the same .303 out of that short rifle that the fine British pilots in Spitfires were shooting at German 109's.
    Yes I'd heard that about these, however I've only ever fired a standard No 4 so I don't know just how bad a carbine is for the recoil, plus I'm sure the 64 year old rubber butt pad is not going to be a supple as it was in 1945, as I'm sure it has harden with age.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "