Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

K98 extractor question

Article about: Quick question. Is the extractor on a K98 serial numbered? A friend has a matching numbered rifle but the extractor is cracked. Thanks M

MAP
    ?

Default K98 extractor question

Quick question.

Is the extractor on a K98 serial numbered?

A friend has a matching numbered rifle but the extractor is cracked.

Thanks

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Yes it should be marked on the top just in between the locking lug on the bolt body and the “claw” of the extractor. The number should be the last two digits of the SN.

MAP
    ?

Thanks. I'll pass that along. Appreciate the feedback

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Your very welcome MAP.

MAP
    ?

So...I have a follow up question for opinions.

My friend is a shooter. Not a collector. The rifle has no import marks, no electro pencil reworking, etc. From what he can see it is 100% matching. Stock is original and not sanded.

Essentially, it looks like he has a collectors grade rifle.

So...

- does he leave it as is and not replace the extractor (turning it into a wall hanger)
    - does he replace the extractor (and keep the original) and shoot it.

For me, I would not shoot a collector grade rifle.

BTW, the extractor just has a slight chip on the claw.

?

If he is a shooter, Even if it should be a safe queen. I would replace the extractor before it breaks completely and save it, Then go to town at the range with the replacement extractor.
    Just my 2 centavos.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Thanks Phil. Pretty much similar advice I gave him. I emphasized more it being put in the safe LoL. But that is easy for us collectors to say. He shoots! So a rifle sitting in the safe is of little interest to him probably and buying a true shooter isn't cheap either with limited funds.

I would replace the extractor and shoot her but hold on to the old one. The old girl was made to fire let her fire! I collect WWII rifles but also shoot them. I hand load for them so I can control how “hot” the ammo I put through them is. Plus it’s cheaper in the long run.

MAP
    ?

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    I would replace the extractor and shoot her but hold on to the old one. The old girl was made to fire let her fire! I collect WWII rifles but also shoot them. I hand load for them so I can control how “hot” the ammo I put through them is. Plus it’s cheaper in the long run.
    Thanks! Not like a G43 where parts are hard to find Just spoke to him. He ordered the extractor and will put the old one aside if he ever sells it. And yes...he will shoot it.

I don't shoot mine. Instead I shoot my more modern firearms. But occasionally, I will take out my Garand for some fun. Don't feel as guilty as it's a Korean war refurb.