Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

K98, Identification

Article about: Hi, I would like to find out if anyone can be of some help, identifying my K98. I know it is a Saur and Son Suhl, but is it LuftWaffe stamps that it carries on both left and right side ? It

Default Re: K98, Identification

Hi Shed:
    Did you ever take the rifle apart and check the barrel
    channel for the serial no. of the rifle? This will make sure
    that you have the correct stock for the rifle. Yes, the "H"
    is for Heer, the German word for army.
    Tks,
    Bob

?

Default Re: K98, Identification

Quote by bob32268 View Post
    Hi Shed:
    Did you ever take the rifle apart and check the barrel
    channel for the serial no. of the rifle? This will make sure
    that you have the correct stock for the rifle. Yes, the "H"
    is for Heer, the German word for army.
    Tks,
    Bob
    Hi Bob

No not yet. I think I will try that one of these days. Could be interesting to see what will come up. I will post my findings later.
    I have the cleaning-kit and a bajonet for it as well. We have a club where we can shoot and play with all these old war-relics. Have also a us m1 carbine and a P08 in great condition. The carbine was dropped down to the danish resistance durring the war. Still has the original oil in the oiler inside the stock. Very good and reliable rifle.
    brgds
    Shed

OLD GUN
    ?

"i have a rifle just like the one above. It also has the same markings. This rifle was picked up in vietnam during combat. It says the sr# of
    "9120 "with a "p" under it. I assume this a mod 98k. You talk about different markings. This is great but i have no idea of what a " weimer republic eagle "looks like. I also do not know what a" straight wing third reich eagle ",or a ""luftwaffe eagle looks like. On the bolt on one of the locking tabs is an "x" on it. What does this mean? There are a lot of markings on this weapon.is there anyway i can find out what these mean. Itsounds like you all are very up to date on these markings. Any help will be appreciated. In not to computer literate but am learning. Sorry about the "capitals" but this is the way i type

OLD GUN
    ?

I checked the barrel chanel and only found the numbers "4496" with no letter with it. On the left side of the stock just past the sling slot is the number "9120" stamped in it. This is also the seral number.
    Any help with this?

Well sounds to me like you may have a Russian Capture that has been "forced matched" by stamping the "9120" on stock at rear. Is the serial no. of 9120 stamped on barrel and receiver? Early 98ks did have the slightly different style Weimar Eagle later changed to the Nazi-style ones. Sounds like your gun was restocked hence the different numbers in barrel channel. What code is stamped on receiver? In any case hold onto that rifle as even Mix-matched 98ks are bringing decent money these days. If you could post some pics we could help you more.

PRE
    ?

This doesn't sound like a Soviet capture rifle at all. Do you have photos of the serial number on the stock? The original German number should be on the underside of the stock, between the trigger guard and butt plate, and inside the stock channel and visible when the rifle has been disassembled. As noted by others, the 'dropped wing' eagles on the receiver and barrel are the Weimar style eagles, unlike the better known Nazi eagles that are usually associated with these.

Make sure to shoulder the rifle firmly when firing it. Setting the butt end into your shoulder 'pocket' against your upper chest will reduce/mitigate the felt recoil. Not holding it firmly in your shoulder pocket will allow the recoil to move back and strike you, causing the discomfort you've already experienced. It's the difference between having someone put their palm against your shoulder and pushing you, or punching you in the shoulder.

Pat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2