Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

K98 no cleaning rod holder

Article about: Hello all, I recently got my first K98, it's stamped BNZ 41 most numbers match and I have no doubt that it was RC. Most of, if not all, the markings are in great shape. The K98 was missing t

TK1762
    ?

Default K98 no cleaning rod holder

Hello all,
    I recently got my first K98, it's stamped BNZ 41 most numbers match and I have no doubt that it was RC. Most of, if not all, the markings are in great shape. The K98 was missing the cleaning rod, no big deal I can find one somewhere. Well, I did find a rod, however, when I went to examine my K98, to see if the 10 or 12 inch rod would be better I discovered that mine does not have a channel for the rod. The hole in the sheet metal is there, but behind that, it's solid wood stock. I don't think the stock has been replaced because the serial number on the barrel and receiver match the number on the side of the butt stock.

What does this mean? Did I get a very clever forgery? Or did some K98's not come with then ability to carry a cleaning rod.

Thank you for any and all help you can provide.

TK1762

Default Re: K98 no cleaning rod holder

I would like to help but i need pictures of the serial #'s of both stock and barrel. It is quite possible that the stock has been changed and a # added to the replaced stock.

It is not likely that it left the factory without a storage sleeve for the cleaning rod.

rgds, Ty

Hi TK,
    "Russian Capture"or "Russian Trophy" (as the Russian people would like to call them) have many force matched parts.
    The stocks were re numbered and refinished.Here is a RC in my collection.
    Regards,
    Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 no cleaning rod holder   K98 no cleaning rod holder  

Hi Jason, thats a fine example. Do you mind posting a complete photo of the kar?
    rgds, Ty

TK1762
    ?

Yes, that's what my K98 looks like. I assume it's still a k98 stock even if its not the original. I took the front medal off and it looks like the wood was never drilled for a cleaning rod. Could it be that the stock is from a k98 that was made late in the war and they did not have the time to do all that was done to the early models? It ended up as part of my 41 when the Russians put the rifle back together?

TK1762

crevo
    ?

Can anyone tell me if the cleaninig rods for the k98's were origionaly blued or bright. A gunsmith told me they were bright but most of the pics on the net shows them as blued. Just bought a rod & not sure if I should blue it or leave it bright.

98k cleaning rods were blue.... If the 1941 98k did not have a hole/channel for the rod then it was a replacement stock, latewar German, or some post war stock of Israel, Czech, Yugo, or other country manufacture that used 98k after WW2... BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

As Bill stated they were blued and thank you Bill for clarifying the reason this particular stock does not have a compartment for the rod. There is no reason why an early wartime rifle would not have the hole unless already stated.

I do have an affection for k98's, m48's etc. and own a few regardless of who manufactured them and i must say that not one of them is missing the channel.

rgds, Ty

TK1762
    ?

Thank you Bill, Ty and all,

I'm guessing that that that is the answer. The k98 iron is from 41 but the wood is from some time after. Still, I love the weapon, its a cool piece of history and shoots unbelievability well. I think it is worth every penny of the $325 I gave for it.

TK1762

That's a great price and would love to own it !

rgds, Ty