Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 question...should I or shouldn't I buy??

Article about: Good info. on mfg. firm .My concern is getting the varnish off without damaging the stock.Anybody got any input as to removing or not removing varnish, and how to do it correctly , will be a

Default K98 question...should I or shouldn't I buy??

Hi guys! I am new to the forum, but have been learning quite a bit about K98's from discussions. A neighbor is selling a K98 that has been refinished with a clear varnish finish on the stock also the barrel and metal parts re-blued. I am curious if the varnish can be removed without damaging the piece. It is an imported rifle with markings. I do not have any pictures available. He is asking $350 and I don't know if it would be worth the purchase. Thanks,
    Peter

Default Re: K98 question...should I or shouldn't I buy??

It sounds like a RC that been reblued. Is everything mismatched? If it reblued RC rifle then it probably worth the money with the varnish. Some People like reblued rife some dont. Reenactors typically like reblued rifles.

P.S. RC rifles are going for about $375 - $400 now a days, some want up to $475.

Hi Peter,

Does the rifle come with sight hood, cleaning rod, and sling?

Can you tell us what year it was made? (should have a 3 letter prefix and then a two digit year... for example, mine is a bnz. 41) Finally, are the original markings still present, or have they been stamped out (eagles/ swastikas, for example)

any sort of pictures, even low quality via a cellphone camera would be a help...

Thanks for the comments.From what I could tell,the bolt is mismatched from the front band, the receiver,and numbers stamped in the stock.It is marked DOT 44 on the receiver.Import markings read"german k98 "with the name of the importer(I could not make it out) something Illinois.The owner had the gun as a shooter(bore is clean and crisp),and he has ALOT of yugo. ammo from the 70's that he will throw in with the gun.Iam more interested in the collection aspects, rather than shooting. Should i try and remove the shiny clear coating on the stock-if I can still get the gun?
    Peter

Most of the markings are present-has site hood-no sling -no cleaning rod.Stamped DOT 44.Pictures not possible at this time.All metal parts are reblued to a dark blue tone as mentioned before.Thanks for your input.
    Peter

Hi Peter,

As it is mismatched and has an import mark, it is almost without a doubt a Russian capture (RC)... It's also a late war production, which many consider of inferior quality compared to K98k rifles that were made during a time when Germany was actually winning the war. The Yugo ammo that he has is corrosive, so if you do end up shooting it, make sure to clean it well afterwards. I really cannot comment on refinishing the stock without seeing pics.

$350 seems like a lot to me... my girlfriend purchased my K98k RC for me for about $300...

K98 question...should I or shouldn't I buy??K98 question...should I or shouldn't I buy??K98 question...should I or shouldn't I buy??

Thanks for pictures and input on your k98-nice looking gun.I was thinking of $300 offer if still available.
    Peter

The company DOT is the firm - Waffen Werke, Brunn, Brunn made in 1944. 70's yugo if i remember correctly are not corrssive. 50's yugo is. Double check that. For collecting it a cheap alt to buying matched k98. Sit hood is not a must on rifle since a Soldat would remove them from time to time. You can still get a repro sling for about $20. Real is $125 to $150 (not to sure on that price). cleaning rods $15 to $20. If you can get varnish off with out damging the stock i would get it.

Note i have a friend who reblued his RC, it get rust more quickly and needs to be reblued every 3 to 5 years. Depending how fast rust apperas on the rifle.

$300 for RC i would be buying thoses all day Giz

Quote by Franz1944 View Post
    $300 for RC i would be buying thoses all day Giz
    I guess my girl must have gotten a good deal .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast