Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 thoughts (1944 byf)

Article about: Hey guys. Haven't been on in a while. I bought this in January..It's my first K98. It's a 1944 BYF. Non matching numbers (except the barrel and front sling loop) Cost me \\$375. He wanted \\$400

?

Default K98 thoughts (1944 byf)

Hey guys. Haven't been on in a while. I bought this in January..It's my first K98.

It's a 1944 BYF. Non matching numbers (except the barrel and front sling loop)

Cost me $375. He wanted $400 but i got it down a little at a local gun show.

No sling or rod. I do not believe it is a russian capture..as there are no "x's" or peening of the eagles (it has 2 visible ones). I also read that the germans were more concerned about getting these rifles to the field then being nit picky about all matching serial numbers.

I have taken off the bolt and cleaned it. it was filthy. There is a little bit of pitting in the bore. but the rifling seems good. safety works. no problems found yet. I haven't shot it yet. I need to get it checked first (head gaps etc). I haven't done anything to it, other then put a little boiled linseed oil on it.

what do you guys think?

so glad i didn't go with (haha) mitchell's mausers..i have heard horror stories about those butchered guns. i took the advice of alot of forums and just bought the gun at a local gun show, in person.

p.s. - i also have some questions about my m-1 helmet. its fixed bails, and very good condition i still have no real idea on how to ID the type of liner..i will post it later.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 thoughts (1944 byf)   K98 thoughts (1944 byf)  

Default Re: K98 thoughts (1944 byf)

Hi Kevmo, you've got a nice K98 produced at the Oberndorf factory in 1944. I purchased a 1943 BYF about ten years ago for $275, so the price you payed is in the ballpark. Looks like you still have some surface rust. If I were you, I would wet that baby down with some G96 or other oil and let it soak, to see if you can get all the rust off. My BYF is definitely a Russian capture but it still has the eagles with the swas's. I agree with you, I don't see any evidence of it being a russian capture. I love to shoot mine, even if it kicks hard, plus the ammo is really cheap. The corrosive stuff is easy to clean up on a bolt rifle. Now it's time for you to find a sling and rod. They are pretty easy to come by and relatively inexpensive. Enjoy it and thanks for showing.

Jay

Nice gun .It will go up in price I bought my k98 5 years ago for 300$ date 1943.Most of them have the russian Marking.

?

researching the sling's and rods...an average sling is about $150 or more...and an unnumbered 12 1/2 inch rod fetches around $40.

rather expensive for a rod and a piece of leather, don't cha think?

repop's are out of the question, as they do not gain value at all, and my heart would feel it was disgraceful to the item.

-kev

Be careful shooting 1944 (even 1943) onwards K98's with larger grain rounds as the metals are of a lower grade steel comparing with the earlier made ones!--Well I had a DOU 42 and I was and still am a novice, I went to a shop a bought an ammo tin of ex Israeli mg ammo then a collector of '98's warned me on what could happen if a post 43 model was used.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-08-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added text

?

what type of grain should i use? how many counts 115? is the romanian stuff any good? i know it's corrosive, and would clean after use.

also i found importer marks on this gun. "C.K.C poris OH" and "christopher k. clark portsmouth OH" is there anyway of telling who this importer is? i reckon i was imported in the 50's or 60s.
    i tried doing a google search on the name ckc and christopher k clark both poris and portsmouth to no avail. please help.

also had a chance to buy an EK2 last night for $100 (issued no marking) and a EK2 unissued with packet for $160. He wanted to see actual value so he went on germanwarbooty.com and saw the Ek2 was worth about 100, but the unissued marked .900 was worth around $200+ with packet.

I plan on buying the issued one for around $100..i just think he doesn't want to part with it. also john is a great guy from that website, great prices and service!

shoot most any surplus 8mm ammo through it,but be care not use machine gun bullets in 8 mm caliber,,those i would not use...

?

Quote by kevmo View Post
    also i found importer marks on this gun. "C.K.C poris OH" and "christopher k. clark portsmouth OH" is there anyway of telling who this importer is? i reckon i was imported in the 50's or 60s.
    i tried doing a google search on the name ckc and christopher k clark both poris and portsmouth to no avail. please help.
    Import marks were only required after a new law was passed sometime in the early-mid nineties (can't remember exactly) so I would say it was imported after that time.

Mike

Hello,
    I moved this thread in a more appropriate forum...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)