Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Kar98k HELP!!!!

Article about: hello everyone! i recently purchased a kriegsmodell k98k with all matching parts. The rifle was originally brought back from a veteran and i purchased it from his son. The only question i ha

Default Kar98k HELP!!!!

hello everyone! i recently purchased a kriegsmodell k98k with all matching parts. The rifle was originally brought back from a veteran and i purchased it from his son. The only question i have is that it has a straight bolt on it. The bolt seems to be from a czech vz24 rifle. How could this of happened.? was it done during the war by the germans (i have seen photos of k98ks with straight bolts) or could the vet have don it himself after the war.

Default Re: Kar98k HELP!!!!

Hello-are you sure its a K98k or the earlier Standard Short model Mauser as these have staight bolt handles but otherwise resemble the K98 early production rifles?

I think pictures would help us more in this one

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-are you sure its a K98k or the earlier Standard Short model Mauser as these have staight bolt handles but otherwise resemble the K98 early production rifles?
    No im sure its a k98 but i do know what you are taking about. But mine is a byf43 k98k the number on this one is 20177. This is a standard k98 other than the bolt i wish i knew the story behind this one

Quote by theotherhomer View Post
    I think pictures would help us more in this one
    unfortunantly my camera is broken but im sure eone of my friends would let me borrow theirs. I will try to post some pics soon

bolt may have been damaged or lost and was replaced with this one,,not its a non-matching rifle,,,

?

Quote by waffenrock42 View Post
    hello everyone! i recently purchased a kriegsmodell k98k with all matching parts.
    So does the bolt number match the gun? I've seen some DOT marked 98K's with straight bolt handles that appeared to be original....

I have a rifle that is the opposite! it is a vz 24 and it has a German k98 bolt. The gun was rusted and destroyed but the bolt is in amazing 100% blued condition. You can tell they did not spend their lives together. The story I have been told is that those who brought weapons back were able to take captured weapons and sometimes these weapons were in large piles. Rifles would be in one pile and bolts in another. A veteran told me that at the end of the war he and some fellow soldiers had a large group of german soldiers surrender to them. They collected weapons tossing the bolts in one pile and rifles in another he had a rifle that was exactly as you described and this was his reasoning. He said you had to just grab a bolt because they were all mixed up. I wish someday I could have a pile of mausers!!!

Talking Re: Kar98k HELP!!!!

Quote by soalebm View Post
    I have a rifle that is the opposite! it is a vz 24 and it has a German k98 bolt. The gun was rusted and destroyed but the bolt is in amazing 100% blued condition. You can tell they did not spend their lives together. The story I have been told is that those who brought weapons back were able to take captured weapons and sometimes these weapons were in large piles. Rifles would be in one pile and bolts in another. A veteran told me that at the end of the war he and some fellow soldiers had a large group of german soldiers surrender to them. They collected weapons tossing the bolts in one pile and rifles in another he had a rifle that was exactly as you described and this was his reasoning. He said you had to just grab a bolt because they were all mixed up. I wish someday I could have a pile of mausers!!!
    Thank you very much this has helped out alot!!!!!

Are you sure it a K98? Germans still used some G98 (Gewehr 98) rifles in World war two. They looked identical to the K98 except
    they have a straight bolt.