Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

karabiner 98k byf 44

Article about: Yesterdays pick up, traded a Dutch m95 No.5 at a gun show for this. It is my first German firearm! I took it out to the range a few hours after picking it up and held a 2" group off han

Default karabiner 98k byf 44

Yesterdays pick up, traded a Dutch m95 No.5 at a gun show for this. It is my first German firearm!
    I took it out to the range a few hours after picking it up and held a 2" group off hand.
    It has no import marks, I am new to German guns so any help with markings is appreciated. It is not all matching.
    I am also not sure what the K on the stock represents?

-Ben
    karabiner 98k byf 44karabiner 98k byf 44

Hey Ben. You made a nice trade. byf 44- Mauser Werke, Oberndorf.

K98k manufacturer's codes 1934-1945

Here's a couple books that might interest you.

Luke

Thanks, the worse part is now I want another! I passed up a G33/40 a few years ago and now I regret it.

?

Nice one Ben.
    Congrat's!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

From what I can see it's a nice one! There must be at least one in every collection. Kicks like a mule IMHO (like the G33/40) but I'm only 150 lbs...

I'm sure another G33/40 will come by....

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice find. The k appears to be a mark from the stockmaker. Notice the H stamping on stock denoting army issuance {Heers} Stock up on a few books as suggested above. Mauser 98k can be a minefield.

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    Yesterdays pick up, traded a Dutch m95 No.5 at a gun show for this. It is my first German firearm!
    I took it out to the range a few hours after picking it up and held a 2" group off hand.
    It has no import marks, I am new to German guns so any help with markings is appreciated. It is not all matching.
    I am also not sure what the K on the stock represents?

-Ben
    Hey Ben just wanted to ask if your gun is a G.I. bringback or an Russian Capture if you know. If a capture the swastikas may have been peened. R/Cs usually have an X or electro-penciling on receiver. I notice yours also has a forged butt plate instead of the cupped type. My BYF 44 had a cupped type. Anyway you got a decent looking kar98k.

Quote by MAP View Post
    From what I can see it's a nice one! There must be at least one in every collection. Kicks like a mule IMHO (like the G33/40) but I'm only 150 lbs...

I'm sure another G33/40 will come by....

M
    Noooooo... Kar98ks are wonders when compared to Mosin-Nagants.

Difficult to say if it's a vet bring back or RC from these photos. RCs will usually have a number written on one side of the stock (the side not photographed here I believe) and none of the part #s will match.

the 'K' could mean Kriegsmarine.

But I agree with mauser9 that it should have a different plate for that year and should also have a sight hood.

Well...
    I'm not sure about the "K" meaning, pretty sure doesn't mean kriegsmarine, because the K should be on the right, flat side of the stock, under the first eagle. Actually you have an H, that means "heer", army in german.
    As stated above, I have to tell you that this stock isn't original to the rifle, since it has the flat buttplate instead of the cupped one, adopted around 1941. Anyway, check if the rifle s/n matches the one below the K, or the one inside the stock channel.
    I will check the K on the stock "blade".