Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

LE No 4 Manufacturers ?

Article about: Hello All I recently aquired a no 4 enfield, its one of the 50's refurbs but dated 1944, does anyone know the maker? it has BR stamped, did the British Railways workshops knock them out on t

Reg
    ?

Default LE No 4 Manufacturers ?

Hello All

I recently aquired a no 4 enfield, its one of the 50's refurbs but dated 1944, does anyone know the maker? it has BR stamped, did the British Railways workshops knock them out on the machinary, it seems an ideal place to get parts made?

Cheers
    Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture LE No 4  Manufacturers ?  

Default Re: LE No 4 Manufacturers ?

BR is the prefix to the serial number, I havnt got my serial number ranges handy but I think the M on yours indicates Maltby.

Reg
    ?

Hi M3Bobby

Thanks for that, I drew a blank as i'm not very clued up on no 4s and unless it says blatently on the beech sidewall im stuffed ;o)

Thanks again
    Reg

"BR" (British Railways) did not exist until 1948. Just a bit of useless info....

Cheers, Ade.

Reg-if you're interested in Lee Enfield rifles may I suggest getting a copy of 'The Lee Enfield' by Ian Skennerton-it's THE book on them.

Reg
    ?

Cheers Lithgow, Ill get onto it, thanks for the tip, I love LE's but have shyed away from collecting too many due to price.

Good point Ade, I should have known, I've always suspected a synergy between militaria collecting and train spotting lol

Best wishes
    Reg

Hi Reg,

I agree with M3bobby, the rifle was made by Maltby in 1944. The other British manufacturers were BSA and Fazakerley.

My understanding is that 'BR' stands for 'Beyond Repair' as other initials used on these rifles were 'BLR' meaning 'Beyond Local Repair' and 'BER' that meant 'Beyond Economic Repair'.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Reg
    ?

Great stuff, thanks for your help and advice gents.
    Cheers
    Reg

Will post my Long Branch No.4 Mk1* soon with assorted bayos.

Reg
    ?

Cheers Lithgow, Ive yet to source the knife bayonet, I have a couple of pig stickers....I also found a pull through and brass bottle in the butt trap whilst cleaning it up....v pleased with that.
    Reg