Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

lee enfield 1917

Article about: Hi Harry i was much the same i think i used to pay about 50 for an ex egypten army Smle ww1 dated they were full of sand and mud but with lots of work they cleaned up really well. I then i

Default Re: lee enfield 1917

Hi Harry
    i was much the same i think i used to pay about 50 for an ex egypten army Smle ww1 dated they were full of sand and mud but with lots of work they cleaned up really well. I then i would sell them for 60 then go get another Happy days indeed.
    Andy

I feel that the collectors-market is moving more towards the well-heeled. The average collector seems to be getting priced out of it. I feel sorry for the newer collectors. They have little chance of of knowing the thrill of owning such an iconic weapon as a WW1 maxim-type gun. You could argue that the Russian maxim is still fairly cheap, but the build-quality of the later post-revolution guns is just not there compared to the VSM-made Vickers or German Mg08.

I must admit I share your sentiments and it is a shame.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I must admit I share your sentiments and it is a shame.

Cheers, Ade.
    I expect new collectors will just move on to the more affordable items from more recent conflicts. Which brings me back to the rather touchy subject of reproduction items... New collectors buy them because they cannot afford the real thing! Those of us that are fortunate enough to have the genuine article should consider ourselves very lucky I suppose.

I would always advocate buying anything original (as you know!) and post war items, even those from the 1950's, which are now "old" in general terms, still offer good value for money. Those of us who grew up in the 1960's are indeed lucky. I know I could never ever afford t build up my collection at today's prices.

Cheers, Ade.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that! Just look at the prices of German helmets and how they have gone through the roof in the past 10 years! I myself would love to own an original Picklehaube, but the prices are far more than I can afford......on the other hand, there are some very nice replicas out there for about $150. As much as I hate to admit it, I'll probably get a replica for display in my den. Gone are the days when you could pick them up for $100 at a flea market! I blame ebay for much of this.......anytime someone has something that is military they assume it's gold and will price it accordingly. It's gotten to the point of being absurd now! That's why I'm so happy when I hear about guys here finding good deals.......that's so rare now!

I can remember when German helmets cost about 3 each - roughly $2. Officer's Picklehauben cost about 5. It took me about four weeks to earn enough for a steel helmet on my paper-round. A good helmet now costs about 400. I'm not aware of any 13 year-old lads who get paid 100 a week for delivering papers. Prices are plain daft.

Quite simply there are more collectors every year and only the same amount of stuff out there and now thanks to the internet the market is world wide (except perhaps for firearms). That being said there are other, newer options for collecting- Vietnam, Iraq/Afganistan, the Cold War etc that a collector could get into at 'ground level' much more affordably. It also has to be remembered that 30 or 50 years ago 'a few dollars or pounds' was real money to most people-collecting has never really been that cheap a pastime.

The problem is i think you are all correct.
    In the Uk I think at the moment the deac russian wepons are fair value the maxim is a lot of gun for the money and negants are nice also just over 100
    and the only german wepon that is not a daft price is the k98 at the moment. i think this wont last though sadly.
    young collectors have to build up to it i supose i collect flare guns and pinfire pistols and my son who is ten wants to collect also he comes to fairs with me but my wife will have non of it yet. Guns are off limmits till he is older even if they are deac but my dealer friends give him empty cases and drill rounds and such. you never know i may have someone to pass my collection onto LOL
    Andy

Hi Harry
    Are german helmets that much? 400 is a lot of dosh for a steel bowl !.
    I would like one but not sure i could bring myself to put up that much ouch.
    german stuff always seems to go for lots more than british or usa but there you are. In a world that made sence you would think it would be the other way around.
    Andy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast