Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lee enfield buttstock repair

Article about: So on my 1945 longbranch there appears to be a repair done to the heel. Anyone know why so many of these guns have these? Drill practice? it also have ZF stamped on the stock, can anyone giv

?

Default Lee enfield buttstock repair

So on my 1945 longbranch there appears to be a repair done to the heel. Anyone know why so many of these guns have these? Drill practice? it also have ZF stamped on the stock, can anyone give me any info on this that would be awsome.

also what do these markings mean, could it be a salvaged stock to replace an old one?

?

The S indicates a short butt.

The ZF is a local armourer marking indicating that the location of the stamp is damaged beyond local repair and is to be sent back to factory.

My P14 has a similar repair to the heel. My guess is they get dropped on that corner quite often which leads to wood damage, but I could be wrong.

Alex

?

Thanks again for the quick reply. Shortly after posting this I came across an article that had a theory on the heel chips found on so many guns. Apparently it's from being dropped to hard during drill practice. Also I'm assuming the ZF was for that particular repair. Just wanted to make sure there's no dead giveaways that it's unsafe to fire since I'll be going to the range with it. Also any idea on the approximate value of the rifle? I paid 600$ + tax Canadian for it and that seems to be the going price on them around here.

?

Also do you know why there's a 10 stamped behind the receiver and the serial number on the outside towards the front bottom of the stock

?

Cant help with the 10 marking but my Longbranch stock has the serial number stamped on the underside of the front hand guard along with the LB logo. Around $600 would be about right in Australia but the import marks might decrease the value slightly.