Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1

Article about: Hello all, I’ve owned this rifle for about a year now but unfortunately it has been deactivated. When I bought it they wanted \\$200 but I got it for \\$100 because as a gun store they more or

Interesting example. I also wondered if it may have passed through Pakistan.

I would pretty much guarantee it’s gone through Pakistan. Your missing parts are quite cheap to buy so I would just build it up as a wall hanger with a nice story and if you really like it, go buy a shooter. Should still be plenty of good No.4s where you are.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    I would pretty much guarantee it’s gone through Pakistan.
    I would say it's a 99.9% probability. Even discounting the legitimate international trade in such weapons. Remember that the British relinquished the rule of India in 1947 at which time other states such as Pakistan came into being. Up until that point the entire sub-continent was absolutely awash with these both in official service and in private hands so it is no surprise to find these in Afghanistan. It might have even arrived there in British or British sponsored possession.

Indian and Pakistani governments continued their own production in ordnance factories inherited from the British and so had no need to maintain any British made stock that units of their new national forces had retained. These would have been disposed of as newer indiginous items were produced.

Allow for the "low end" of the legitimate trade supplying obsolete stuff to third world buyers and the thriving black market that prevails in such places and the probablity becomes even greater.

As stated by the guys above, this is an interesting piece based on probable history alone and will make a great conversation piece. I too would replace at least the cocking piece and safety catch with appropriate items just so that it looks the part

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The British government actually granted an export license for BSA (I think it was BSA) to sell their entire No.4 production line to Pakistan in 195x after the last Mk2 guns were made and they moved into full scale L1 production.

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    The British government actually granted an export license for BSA (I think it was BSA) to sell their entire No.4 production line to Pakistan in 195x after the last Mk2 guns were made and they moved into full scale L1 production.
    Just so, and Pakistanis (pretty sure the Indians too) continued production until relatively recently (80's I think).

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for informations it's appreciated. I agree and I want to try and add the missing parts, I can find a few parts on eBay surprisingly. I was wondering If there is any way to make sure the parts are second world war made, It really doesn't matter too much because the gun has had so many things replaced post war but it would be nice to try and keep to its original manufacturing date.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Since she’s never gonna be back to the way she was in WWII I kinda think it would be fitting and be more in line with her story to have a hodge podge of parr’s from different manufacturers and eras so long as it not new repro parts. But that’s just me personally.

I agree, I’ve found some safeties and a full bolt on Ebay but I am going to wait a while to get some better fitting parts and maybe some cheaper. I’m not sure how much a bolt goes for but 120 usd seems a little steep, especially because I paid less that that for the rifle.

$120 is steep. Keep an eye out on eBay or wait for this virus to go away and hit up a larger gun show and you’ll definitely find what you need for much cheaper. I don’t know how close to Tulsa you are but the Wanenmacher gun show held there is the largest in the world and has daggum near everything you could ever be looking for and at pretty good prices

I don’t see it mentioned but the sight is a Ptn 14 or M1917 Enfield sight. I bet the original was the simple economy flip sight, hence someone changing it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast