Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1

Article about: Hello all, I’ve owned this rifle for about a year now but unfortunately it has been deactivated. When I bought it they wanted \\$200 but I got it for \\$100 because as a gun store they more or

Default Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1

Hello all, I’ve owned this rifle for about a year now but unfortunately it has been deactivated. When I bought it they wanted $200 but I got it for $100 because as a gun store they more or less just wanted it gone. They told me that it was deactivated by the US soldier who brought it back from Afghanistan because he wasn’t allowed to bring back a functioning rifle. If I remember correctly it was passed on by the soldier and they didn’t want the rifle so they sold it. I don’t know much about the rifle besides where and when it was made and how it got here. How and why it made it into Afghanistan is really speculation and guess work.

It’s missing a lot of important parts, the bolt has been completely stripped but I assume that is to do with it being brought back. It has a completely different sight on it and all the stock pieces besides the main stock have been replaced. The buttstock has been carved with a language that I can’t read, I was told it says 303. The round it's chambered in. I was going to restore it and buy all its original parts back but I have leaned towards leaving it as is.

Cheers,
    Bodhi

Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1

Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1
    This is the upper front stock that came with it but I replaced it as it was very loose
    Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1

The rifle could have found its way into the region via the Suez Crisis in 1956, or through earlier British military activity in North Africa, but that's just speculation. Most military firearms have gone around the world several times in their long lives, so who knows how it ended up there. This is a very interesting piece, despite it being deactivated. It has clearly seen use for an extended period, and has been modified by various owners over the years. It may not shoot, but it has history in spades.

The lettering on the buttstock is Arabic, and does indeed read '303', referring to .303 British, undoubtedly.

Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1

Regards, B.B.

I never thought about the Suez Crisis, that is a very possible reason for it landing there. I agree it’s a shame it doesn’t work but it’s still one of my most interesting items.

Thanks,
    Bodhi

It’s “303” in Dari and Pashto as well. These are the two most commonly spoken languages in Afghanistan. There are quite a few photos of Taliban insurgents armed with Enfield rifles. The weapon might also have make its way to Afghanistan by way of India and Pakistan.

Outstanding history this weapon has. It has parts made by Savage (an American Manufacturer) for the British and some how ended up, presumably, being brought home by an American soldier so it’s gone full circle!

Even though she doesn’t shoot anymore great and interesting piece!

I'd be interested to know exactly how this rifle was deactivated. Would be nice to see how it compares to UK deactivation specs.

Regards, B.B.

It was deactivated very simply but very effectively. It was by the looks of it, it had a metal cylinder driven down from the top into the front of the barrel so you no longer can camber a round as it completely blocks off the barrel. I can’t just replace the barrel as that was my first thought.

Here you see where the metal was driven through the top into the barrel.
    Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1
    And here is the inside where you see the cylinder though the barrel.
    Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1

Similar to the UK process then, but far less extensive. Looks like the cocking piece has been removed as well.

B.B.

Nice rifle.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

For the price you paid it would be a steal this side of the Atlantic, with its long history it's a nice relic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast