Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Lee Enfield No.5 MK1 Jungle Carbine.

Article about: Whilst I was posting the SMLE I thought I may as well put some pics up of this one also. Annoyed from this ads?   Lee Enfield No.5 MKI, 1946, Fazakerley made one. Numbers matching inclu

Hi, Alex !

Thx., for your answer.

It´s from interest for me, if the scabbard, made by Wilkinson, is an "original" No.5 -one or, does Wilkinson manufactured such pattern sheaths, ( S.294 -marked), for other pattern bayonets, (No. 7, No.9), also ?

Yes, I´ve bought this bayonet.
    It really looks good to me and came heavilly greased.

Best regards,
    R.

Quote by Alex W View Post
    ...Time Bandit posted a similar one although re blued in 2013. He might be able to tell you if there were any similar pommel markings on his: Jungle enfield bayonet...
    Yes, I have seen similar marked pommels (mine isn't though). The ones I have seen were either S M or possibly S M C (I can't remember exactly now) surrounded by a diamond shape. It might be for Singer and possibly they were subcontracted to make pommels for Poole ROF? I don't recall seeing K S M but I wonder if the 'K' is actually the edge of the diamond shape surrounding the S M? If it's worn it might just leave the < shape in the one place next to the S making it appear like it was once a K, a bit like <SM and if you didn't know about the diamond shape you might presume it was KSM??

Quote by Reibert View Post

It´s from interest for me, if the scabbard, made by Wilkinson, is an "original" No.5 -one or, does Wilkinson manufactured such pattern sheaths, ( S.294 -marked), for other pattern bayonets, (No. 7, No.9), also ?
    Whilst I'm not 100% certain it is my understanding that the S.294 marked scabbards were the ones originally made by Wilkinson for their No.5 bayonets. I'm not sure if they also supplied the other wartime makers (Radcliffe, Elkington & Viners) or if the other makers made or had made my other subcontractors their own scabbards.

?

I decided to stop being lazy so I've pulled out SKENNERTON's British & Commonwealth Bayonets book.

Wilkinson was only a wartime manufacturer and they are only referred to in the production of No. 5 bayonets and scabbards. Doesn't look like they produced scabbards specifically for the No. 7 or No. 9 but they are all interchangeable so no doubt that Wilkinson scabbards probably ended up on a few No. 7 or No. 9s.

The pommel mark should be SMT within a diamond which is for Scottish Motor Traction Co. who were wartime subcontractors for machining blades and pommels. Apparently excess pommels were put into storage and used post war.

Reibert - Do you mind telling me how much your one cost? If you feel like a trade I've got a nice Australian marked M7 with your name on it

Hi, Alex !

Thx. for the informations !
    But, as you know, I´m lookin´ for an Aussie M9 !

Cheers,
    R.

Quote by Alex W View Post
    The pommel mark should be SMT within a diamond which is for Scottish Motor Traction Co. who were wartime subcontractors for machining blades and pommels. Apparently excess pommels were put into storage and used post war.
    Scottish Motor Traction Co.
    I´m sure, You´re right, Thx. !

Markings on British and Commonwealth Bayonets

Quote by Time Bandit View Post
    Just one last one...

@ Time Bandit:
    Anyone who has had the most recent catalogue from WWA will probably have seen this pic on the page advertising the Jungle Carbines they were selling (mine isn't one of them though). The pic is one of mine they, erm, 'borrowed', but I don't mind too much, and it shows my dad with his No5 MK1 in Malaya whilst serving with REME (he's the one squatting down on the right). I showed my dad the pic and he was quite chuffed get into print!!!
    It is also interesting that in the photo on the fender of the truck you can see the tactical unit insignia of the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

Lee Enfield No.5 MK1 Jungle Carbine.Lee Enfield No.5 MK1 Jungle Carbine.Lee Enfield No.5 MK1 Jungle Carbine.

The Malayan Emergency | Welcome to the Gurkha Brigade Association
    Last edited by Reibert; 06-16-2022 at 03:05 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3