Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lee Enfield no4 Mk 1 viewed this afternoon

Article about: As in my earlier thread I thought I was going to view a SMLE mk3 today, however when I got there it turned out to be a No4 Mk 1. The rifle is in very good condition old spec de activation ca

Default Lee Enfield no4 Mk 1 viewed this afternoon

As in my earlier thread I thought I was going to view a SMLE mk3 today, however when I got there it turned out to be a No4 Mk 1. The rifle is in very good condition old spec de activation carried out sympathetically. It was made by the Royal ordinance factory, is fitted with the correct zinc but plate and comes with a pig sticker bayonet.

Can anyone advise what market value is for this rifle. I will post pictures when we get a less overcast day.

Many thanks

Robin

Default Re: Lee Enfield no4 Mk 1 viewed this afternoon

Anyone !!

The Mazack butt plate is a Savage or LongBranch saving. I'm not 100% sure on that but I think all British Mk1 had Gun metal (Brass) butt plates so possibly a replacemen butt. Post some pics, esp with close ups of the markings and we will try our best.

All the general production No.4 models used the Mazak No.3 alloy butt plate but trials and converted No.1 MkVI troop trials rifles with 'gunmetal' butts did appear but these were in small numbers-the No.1 MkIII* butt as produced during WW2 was also interchangeable as a replacment part but again not common.

D and Bhave one listed at £450, however I think that's top end of prices. Most of the ones I've seen lately have been around the £350 mark. They've really shot up in the last few years

?

300-350 is a reasonable price. Although I don't understand why, a year ago they cost 250 max.

Lee Enfield no4 Mk 1 viewed this afternoon
    DA5 WW2 Enfield No4 Rifle - 03-DeAc Rifles

Recently I picket up an SMLE MK3 (WW2) BSA from GS for 320-just in case if the prices will continue skyrocketing.

There is no difference in new and old spec for bolt-action rifles afaik

Bolt Action Rifles: These are the same for pre and post 95. Rifling removed from the bore until approximately 15mm from the muzzle. A steel pin inserted in the bore near the chamber end. Sometimes a steel rod is inserted into the bore as well. Barrel has longditudinal cut along fifty percent of barrel length. Barrel pinned to action. Breach face cut away at an angle of approximately 45 degrees. Firing pin cut down or removed. Loading ramp partially milled out. A deactivation stamp on the barrel, receiver and bolt. Full working actions and can be stripped.
    Deactivated Guns | DandBMilitaria Ltd | Deactivated Weapons

The sight of all those Lee Enfields...gives you the sort of feeling only a woman should give! I paid £235 for my no 4 about 4 years ago so the prices are going up nicely! I keep telling my wife buying guns is a better investment than the bank, however she does point out I wouldn't sell them!

Gone are the days when I used to get No.4s for between £40 and £60!!

DandBs explanation isnt quite correct but it is close, my pre 86 deacs have a slotted barrel and a pin in the breech but the feed ramps are left untouched. My 1989 Mk3 has a cut through the feedramp but has a plug in the breech and the barrel isnt pinned to the action. The most annoying thing I find on post 95 deac Enfields is the bolt locking lug being ground off. Some are completely removed, others are ground to an angle and the odd one or two have got away with the edges being ground off.