Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lithgow Mk III* Information Needed

Article about: I have a Lithgow Mk III* in excellent condition that has a 1.2" green band painted on the stock about 1.3" in back of the stock's wrist. I have owned the rifle for about 10 years a

?

Default Lithgow Mk III* Information Needed

I have a Lithgow Mk III* in excellent condition that has a 1.2" green band painted on the stock about 1.3" in back of the stock's wrist. I have owned the rifle for about 10 years and have never been able to find out what the green band signifies. If anyone has any information on this it would be appreciated.
    TIA
    Sam

Default Re: Lithgow Mk III* Information Needed

Hi, Sam,
    I cant help you with the ID, green band but would like to see your rifle if you could put some pics up, you will find many of us love the Enfields, thanks
    Dave.

?

Hi Panzer3,

As requested here are some photos of the Lithgow Mk III*
    Sam

IMG]http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac100/samnev_photos/LithgowMkIIIStar04.jpg[/IMG]

?

Unless I am wrong...and I have been from time to time, the green band signifies an Australian cadet rifle that was approved for firing ball ammunition.

Hi, thanks for showing the rifle it is in good shape and i bet fires well, He could be right about the band as it could be a unit mark. Im not sure a regular unit would have a band on it, But i have seen a lot of rifles with with numbered butt,s. My old S.L.R, was marks No, 5, What is the dates of the rifle ?.
    dave,

Here is your one pic that didn't show uo:

?

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi, thanks for showing the rifle it is in good shape and i bet fires well, He could be right about the band as it could be a unit mark. Im not sure a regular unit would have a band on it, But i have seen a lot of rifles with with numbered butt,s. My old S.L.R, was marks No, 5, What is the dates of the rifle ?.
    dave,
    Dave,
    On the wrist where Enfield's are marked it is dated 1944. On the butt stock it is dated 1945 and below that is III* HV. I am not familiar with the HV marking.
    And thanks to GIZMO8Z for posting my errant photo.

'HV'= chambered and sighted for High Velocity ammunition ie MkVII pointy bullets-'1945' dated buttstock is a replacement.

?

Lithgow,
    Thanks for the info. Do you know what the green band signifies? By the way you have a beautiful country. We visited there for a few weeks some years ago. I even bought 3 cutoffs for my other SMLE's from a gun shop in Sydney. I could not find the cutoffs and screw in the US. They had a remarkable collection on display of every Enfield you could imagine. Even the P14 Snipers as well as the SMLE and N0 4Mk I's. The Sydney Zoo was fantastic as well.
    Thanks for the info.
    Sam

"There were three different colour codes for Cadet Enfields, Red, Yellow and Green. Red indicated the rifle was not to be fired and was drill purpose only with Yellow being lesser condition than Green but still ok to fire."

Thats a quote from another site, I'd imagine there will be a more technical explanation for the yellow band other than 'lesser condition than Green'!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast