Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M 1 Garand, 1947

Article about: I've been offered a 1947 M1 Garand with a bunch of clips, bandoleer (sp) and 300 plus rounds of ammo. The rifle is reputedly complete with everything but the bayo. According to the seller, a

Default M 1 Garand, 1947

I've been offered a 1947 M1 Garand with a bunch of clips, bandoleer (sp) and 300 plus rounds of ammo. The rifle is reputedly complete with everything but the bayo.
    According to the seller, a man in his 70's, he has had it for over 20 years and never fired it. He said it may have never been fire since leaving the armory. I'm thinking it's one of the post war refurbished rifles that the government did between 1947-49.
    I've been wanting one for a long time but the thought has been on the back burner for years.
    Is $1,000.00 US a reasonable price assuming it is in great condition when I go to see it? I have today & tomorrow to see and buy it before the guy goes to his other home in Arizona for the rest of the winter.
    What say you?

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Default Re: M 1 Garand, 1947

I think the price is fair as long as it all checks out when you see it. Wish you luck on it Rudy.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks Eric. It better be in great condition since me parting with a grand for a garand (pun intended) will be like prying money from a dead mans hand.

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

See if you can take the butt stock off to make sure the barrel isn't welded to the receiver. This is pretty common on somerifles so it's better to be sure then getting burned out of 1k. Good luck

Go check it out like I always tell my wife "it doesn't hurt to look!" haha but really check it out. If you still have even the slightest doubt I would not buy it. You have a grand so just shop around and get one you know is 100% legit. Just my 2 cents good luck!

1 000$ is nothing for such a beauty

It's a good fair price but If you have doubts and are not familiar enough with the Garand then i would suggest you pass on it.

Words of wisdom. Never take the word of a seller and know what you are buying.

Great info that I was looking for. I'll be seeing the rifle tomorrow so any other helpfull ideas are more than welcome.
    Seller also said it included a leather scabard and misc. items.

I need to start the new year on a good note, as we all do I'm sure. I am mainly collecting things that I want to leave to my
    nephew. A young man that seems to be able to live in this high tech world yet is one of a few that know there was a past.

Rudy
    Frank Zappa

?

I agree that, assuming it is in very good condition, the price is fair. But, check it out thoroughly. I would even ask for the opportunity to take it to a gunsmith to have him check the barrel and bore measurements - at $1000 they should be near perfect.

And, as always, but the rifle, not the story. Good luck!!

Will do sir. I plan a 1 week time period with provision of returning the rifle if it does not check out.
    I also plan on working that price down a little ... wish me luck there.

Rudy
    Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast