Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

M1 Carbine '43?

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, Thought I would share this beautiful M1 Carbine. It's in really lovely condition. I have a couple of questions, there are some markings to the barrel, under which is a '9 43

Default M1 Carbine '43?

Hello Gentlemen,

Thought I would share this beautiful M1 Carbine. It's in really lovely condition.

I have a couple of questions, there are some markings to the barrel, under which is a '9 43'. Is this the date of manufacture?

The clip capacity appears to be 15, I thought the norm was 30?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5158.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	350.3 KB 
ID:	668939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5159.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	333.0 KB 
ID:	668940  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5160.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	668941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5161.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	333.0 KB 
ID:	668942  

Name:	IMG_5166.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	668943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5167.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	668944  

Best regards,
    Chris

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."
    Carl Jung

?

Hello Chris the magazine does hold 15 odd rounds I think the 30 one was slightly bent & longer & if I am correct post WW2..I don't much about the markings so I can't help you there. All you need now is the bayonet & sling. Nice weapon & some good snaps too. Cheers Terry.

Yes, the 9 '43 is the date of manufacture. The mags for the ww 2 carbines were only 15, the 30 rounders, they were for the M2 version The M2 was a select fire weapon. Here's a link with more info

M1 carbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Best
    Paul

47th MP Co/47th Inf Div 1983-1988
    583rd Ord Co 59th Ord Bde Muenster, W Germany
    1988-1990
    Looking for P37 ammo pouch with No4 bayo frog

Agreed - and a nice carbine.

Up near the front sight could be stamped the manufacturer
    and date of the barrel.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The standard magazine for the M-1 Carbines held 15 rounds, but the banana clips of 30 rounds Will fit into them, but will generally not feed correctly and usually jam.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Many thanks for the quick replies and great information gentlemen
    Best regards,
    Chris

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."
    Carl Jung

?

The 9-43 is the date of manufacture of the barrel - not necessarily of the carbine itself. The manufacturer's name is located on the top of the receiver just behind the rear sight, just in front of the serial number. It may be obscured by the rear sight. To date the rifle, I'd need the serial number. With that, you can get the month of production and then make an educated guess as to whether the barrel is original or not.

Of all the US manufactured weapons, the best records were kept on the M1/M2 carbines. Almost all of the parts were stamped with a manufacturer code that can be tracked back to a specific contractor or sub-contractor. There are several reference works out there that provide great info. One inexpensive one is Craig Riesch's book, "US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production." It provides a wealth of info (with a few mistakes) and is a great way to find out about your rifle.

The "bible" on these rifles is the two book series War Baby and War Baby Comes Home. They are out of print and will set you back some serious dollars. With those, you can find out the various sub-contractor markings on each of the producers of M1 carbines. I have a set of these as well as Riesch's book - will gladly give you some info if you give me the various markings that you find.

You carbine has the features of a late-war or post war configuration. Again, I'd need to know the manufacturer and serial number to confirm since those feature I can see were added to the manufacturing process of some rifles into 1945 (the rotary safety and type III barrel band with the bayonet lug for example). Most likely, you have a rifle the went through rebuild after WWII and had the features upgraded. Well over 90% of all carbines went through at least one rebuild after WWII.

The 30 round magazine was issued starting in April of 1945, I think, so few made it into service for WWII. As noted, they were designed to provide more ammo for the M2 (automatic fire) versions of the rifles. The magazine catches were changed to accept the 30 round magazine - if yours has that catch, it will accept the 30 round and should fire just fine.

I have 3 M1s - an Inland, a National Postal Meter and a Rock-ola.

Enjoy and let me know if I can help shed some more light on your rifle.
    Last edited by MarkV; 03-31-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    MarkV
    COL, U.S. Army (Ret.)

?

Just to show you how the manufacturer name is many times covered by the rear sight, this is my Rock-ola. You can't see the name but it's there. Each manufacturer was given specific blocks of numbers for production so you can tell the manufacturer just by the number.

Name:	SN.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	669076
    Last edited by MarkV; 03-31-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    MarkV
    COL, U.S. Army (Ret.)

?

I also just realized that my Inland barrel is also a 9-43 production. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INF4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	669077
    MarkV
    COL, U.S. Army (Ret.)

I couldn't have explained it better myself. As mark said. Barrel date may not be the carbine's MFG date. They are a fun gun to shoot. When my son was 13 years old he use to shoot one of my shooter carbines in CMP Matches.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast