MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

M1 Carbine newbie...

Article about: My cousin Marco got in on the action as well:

?

Default Re: M1 Carbine newbie...

My pleasure - ask away. I'm glad to help.

Don't overuse the brush when you clean. The new ammo is non-corrosive so you can get away with running a solvent soaked patch through the barrel a few times and then run clean patches through until the come out clean. Wipe the chamber and inside the receiver the same way. Do you know how to remove the bolt? To clean the rifle well you'll need to do that. After cleaing I wipe everything down with a light coat of oil - and run a patch with oil down the barrel.

Enjoy your Baby!!

Quote by MarkV View Post
    My pleasure - ask away. I'm glad to help.

Don't overuse the brush when you clean. The new ammo is non-corrosive so you can get away with running a solvent soaked patch through the barrel a few times and then run clean patches through until the come out clean. Wipe the chamber and inside the receiver the same way. Do you know how to remove the bolt? To clean the rifle well you'll need to do that. After cleaing I wipe everything down with a light coat of oil - and run a patch with oil down the barrel.

Enjoy your Baby!!

I ran the brush back and forth maybe less than a dozen times? Then I ran solvent soaked patches thru the barrel until one came out clean. I'll make sure to tone down the brush use next time...

I was shown how to remove the bolt when I first bought the rifle... but to be honest I do not recall exactly how to do it and am not exactly comfortable with it. I will definitely need to watch a tutorial on how to do it.

I really am enjoying this rifle! Thank you so much Mark!

Hi Mark (or anyone else willing to help!)

I have another question: The pin that seems to be holding together the trigger grouping is VERY lose on my carbine. I can poke it out with my finger... is this a problem? Could this be what's causing my trigger to have a slight left/right wobble when it's attached to the stock (the receiver and barrel are solid as a rock)?

Could a new trigger pin solve this problem... or might I have a bigger issue on my hands?

Also, could you recommend some essential accessories and/or tools for the carbine? I have an ammo pouch coming in the mail. I already bought a Korean war vintage sling and oiler (I'm assuming so... considering the sling is marked 51. The oiler is marked SI.)

I'm considering buying cleaning kit (with vintage pouch) off of fulton armory. Maybe a bayonet... I'd love to have other vintages accessories and tools for my new Baby!

Gizmbz, I have a 51 dated web belt mag pouch for a M1 Carbine, I'm not sure if it's actually 51 dated due to the the lot number containing a 74. But if you wanna buy it from just PM me and we can work something out. I can email pictures of it to you if you want

George

?

My first rifle when I was 14 was an ALPINE post-war built commercial M1 Carbine. Then I got an INLAND 1944 mfg in the early 90's that was stamped blue sky on the barrel, supposedly these came from Korea. had an M2 stock, round bolt, M2 slide, M2 trigger housing with M1 hammer but M2 sear, 30rd mag catch, etc. Everything was Inland stamped.

I would recommend you getting a gas piston wrench, can be found online or at gun shows.

I've had that trigger assembly pin drift out before, sometimes a new pin will fix it, unless the hole in your housing is wore out.

I also ended up with a bolt dissasembly tool, and all kinds of extra parts and accessories. IF you get any 30 rd mags, you should get the mag catch with the little ear to catch the 3rd lug on the 30 rd mags. the mag catch is easy to change out. This is talked about in post #13, the Military ones have the big M stamped on them.

I killed my first deer with the inland, 100yds open sights with 110 gr softpoint. My Grandfather killed deer for years with an Underwood M1 Carbine.

?

PMKS pretty much hit the tools. In my mind the most important would be the bolt disassembly tool. I also have a front sight removal tool but you probably won't need that.

Does your trigger move or does the whole trigger mechanism move? All of my carbines have pins the can be easily pushed out, but once in place the trigger grouping won't move from side to side. It if does, either the pin or the whole is worn. If the trigger moves, that's a different issue.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

http://www.facebook.com/v/581569717739

?

The link comes up as Video Unavailable for me.

?

Nope. Might be your privacy settings through FB. If you have your settings to friends only I won't be able to access the video.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast