Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

M1 Carbine newbie...

Article about: My cousin Marco got in on the action as well:

Default Re: M1 Carbine newbie...

My cousin Marco got in on the action as well:

We had great weather today and I finally got the chance to take high quality shots of my carbine... Enjoy!

M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...M1 Carbine newbie...

?

Great looking War Baby, Joe!!

Quote by MarkV View Post
    Great looking War Baby, Joe!!
    Thanks, Mark! I was hoping you'd take a look. My front sight post is slightly bent. Are any potential red flags jumping out at you?

?

No real flags. Looks very typical for a Post-WWII rebuild. The -U- on the stock indicates it went through the Underwood rebuild program (at least the stock did). The stock also indicates it was modified to mount the grenade launcher sight - the two diagonally oriented holes on the left side in front of the -U-. You might also look into having the stock crack pinned. If the wood dries out, you might get some more cracking. The front sights are not overly difficult to replace and you can find USGI replacements - if it bothers you. I have a sight puller I can lend you if you decide you want to swap it out.

But, she looks like anice piece of history!

I like your carbine. I am going to be carrying one of these at our big upcoming immersion event at Newville in February.

I used to have an M1A1, but I sold it a long time ago.

Nice M-1. I have one very similar to it also, an IBM. I heard that the price on those went up as IBM tried to buy all of them up several years ago so they could deny they made firearms. Probably a rumor but they are very collectable. I love shooting mine

Quote by MarkV View Post
    No real flags. Looks very typical for a Post-WWII rebuild. The -U- on the stock indicates it went through the Underwood rebuild program (at least the stock did). The stock also indicates it was modified to mount the grenade launcher sight - the two diagonally oriented holes on the left side in front of the -U-. You might also look into having the stock crack pinned. If the wood dries out, you might get some more cracking. The front sights are not overly difficult to replace and you can find USGI replacements - if it bothers you. I have a sight puller I can lend you if you decide you want to swap it out.

But, she looks like anice piece of history!
    Hi Mark, thanks for the advice! I never knew about the holes for the grenade launcher sight... I always thought that someone had bolted on a weird scope mount there sometime postwar! I'll look into getting the stock crack pinned... I've been keeping my eye on the crack and it hasn't grown at all since I acquired the rifle. No worries on the front sight... I've gotten used to it.

As always, thank you so much for the guidance!

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words!

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I believe the part I screwed in with my fingers is the piston nut? Should this be loose?
    GIZMO8Z,
    The piston nut should be tight not loose. The piston itself should be free to move.

Quote by samnev View Post
    GIZMO8Z,
    The piston nut should be tight not loose. The piston itself should be free to move.
    Hi samnev,
    The piston itself does move free, it's the nut itself that concerns me. I tighten it with the USGI piston nut wrench that I have, but the vibrations from a day of shooting cause it to back out. I'm not sure if my gunsmith will be willing to pin it down, or if i should apply the smallest amount of low strength loctite...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast